Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Jason's Outdoor Journal 2015/16

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I know it sucks and thieves are no good rotten pieces of crap, but you basically made a donation by not locking it up. It's a tough lesson to learn, but now you know.

Jason Short

Wayne County
On the bright side I saw that they cut the last of the corn recently while I was looking for my camera. I'm gonna try to get my 11 year old brother a chance at his first deer close to where I had the camera but I'm not sure if much is using the area. Hopefully find out this weekend though

Jason Short

Wayne County
I hunted Killbuck again tonight and got skunked in a new spot but when I got home I found out my brother shot a button buck at a small farm he hunts behind our house.
033.jpg

Jason Short

Wayne County
Actually this is his second deer, the brother I was talking about earlier in the thread is a different one. There's five of us brothers lol but thanks!

Isaacorps

Columbus
Nope not locked so I guess I kinda expected it to happen at some point, luckily it was a cheap one I got at RKO on sale last year. Thieves just piss me off though

Nothing worse than a thief. Congrats on the buck! I hunt public exclusively too and know how challenging it can be. Keep up the good work!

Jason Short

Wayne County
Tonight I took my youngest brother out to try and get him a chance at his first deer. It didn't work out and he saw nothing so we got some ice cream on the way home instead lol
I really hope I can get him a close encounter or shot by the end of the year but I'm not sure it will work out with any of the spots I've found so far

002.jpg

Jason Short

Wayne County
Haven't updated this in a while, been nothing to talk about. I'm still trying to kill a doe and it's getting real tough to even see any deer with the amount of pressure right now. I ain't seen a deer since gun season opened and I've hunted 2 mornings and 4 evenings. I took last night off and went up to lake erie with a buddy to fish off the huron pier. I ended up catching four and he got one.
005.jpg

Jason Short

Wayne County
I haven't been hunting a whole lot lately with the lack of sightings and all. I have gone out a few times and its been tough to even see a deer in daylight. I did go out thursday evening after school and hunted the stand where I shot my buck out of earlier this year hoping to get a doe or BB. The deer sightings on this piece of land have been especially bad since it's a popular small game hunting area and it's had people tromping all over it since rabbit season opened (which is fine with me, public land is there for everybody to enjoy). At about 4:30 I see a deer working through a field heading for the bottom I'm sitting in. It took about 10 minutes but it kept coming closer and closer and I thought it was a BB. I passed on a 30 yard shot hoping it would come a little closer and it ended up coming to 10 yards and gave me a broadside shot. After the shot it took off with blood gushing out both sides and I knew he wouldn't go far but lost track of him when he went over a small knob about 70 yards away. I waited about 5 minutes to calm down enough to climb down safely then immediately walked to my car and went home to get my brother to drag it out. We got there at about 6 and followed the easiest blood trail I've seen through the snow. It had died about 20 yards from where I last saw it and was an easy drag out with the slick snow making it slide nice and easy. It actually turned out to be a young buck that had recently shed instead of a BB. I'm done with deer for the season, now it's time to shoot smaller animals lol. Here's the only picture I have

deer #2 jan 2016.jpg