Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

"J"s 2013-14 Deer hunting log

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382570419.970561.jpg

Well, it's that time again too get my ass back in the stand..... I've never started this late in the season and hopefully my holding out and not hitting the two stands I have up will pay off with a decent buck this year....
I tend too hit the ground running when season starts and by the time rut rolls around I've burned myself out on all day sits so I'm changing it up this year and will see if it pays off.... I've not stepped foot in a woods with bow in hand yet this season and it's been really bugging me so I hope it pays off lol.... If not oh well back too the drawing board again next season lol....

Hitting it tomorrow and sitting at least till noon and longer if the deer cooperate lol.... All smoked up and that's a great feeling but the wife's lookin at me as I type and said she doesn't miss the smoke smell hahaha well darlin welcome too the season lol

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Good luck "J". Hope the new strategy works out for you.

When you stick one tomorrow, let me know. I'll be happy to start an IKS thread for ya.:smiley_clap:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
First sit of the season, and it was a good one for starters....

Sits : 1

Time: 4.5 hours

Winds: WSW 8/17

Does 4

Bucks 2

Shots offered 5

If this is any indication of how it's going too be I'm looking forward too the next couple of weeks......

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Heck yeah J!!! Great sit! Glad to see you getting back out buddy. Hope the change in tactics helps you slay a dandy this season! Good luck!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Two years ago I'd of dropped that buck in its tracks.... WTH am I doing lol..... Talked too my buddy Dave and he said its 2.5 with lots of potential so I guess I did good lol.....
I did hear that little voice in my ear saying shoot!!!!! I guess I'm leaning toward the pass on little ones too shoot a bigger one mentality.... I guess hats a good thing lol

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Back at it...the wind is howling but some deer are still moving...saw a big body deer hailing the mail a cross a field above me.... Hope it was a buck lol it was huge just too overgrown too see a rack....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Evening hunt #2

4 hours

Winds: WSW 8/17

Does: 6

Bucks: maybe one lol

Winds were howling with gusts too 17 ladder stand was swaying pretty good and right around 4:30 two doe were walking down a tree line that boarders railroad tracks with he wind at their backs which kinda shocked me.... It turned out too be a doe and button buck.... They made their way behind me and then walked under my stand and out in front of me.... Milled around for 10 minutes and moved on.... 4 more doe walked out and and milled around just out of bow range but all in all a good night on stand.....

Looking forward too the mornings sit....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Great first day in the woods for you J! Glad to hear even an old dog can learn new ways. lmao

I am teasing of course, but sounds like a good choice on passing. Hopefully you will be rewarded with a far superior buck later now.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I am teasing of course, but sounds like a good choice on passing. Hopefully you will be rewarded with a far superior buck later now.

Hope you're right Phil lol.... I'm passing on everything but a shooter buck until thanksgiving , does will get a pass until the ruts pretty much over.... All this in hopes of keeping the bucks around.... This is a first for me so we'll see if it works lol

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Morning hunt: #3

Hours: 4

Winds: WSW 9/17

Does: 0

Bucks: 0

Yotes: 1

Shots: 0

Blanked this morning, all I saw was a yote sneaking thru (damn they're quiet) sat till 11 had a train break down blocking the tracks for close too an hour so that MAY have had something too do too it.... Hitting it again in the morning.... Not liking the high winds though.....

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
had one yippin and yiping at me in the dark this morning as I was putting my climber on the tree. Bout 50 yards away. That'll make yer butthole pucker.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Hunt #4 morning

Hours: 4

Does: 0

Yotes: heard one howling

Shots: 0

Hit too the stand early as I figured with he winds moving in I wanted too be ready for anything early.... Right before day break an ambulance was going by off in the distance and a yote let loose howling up a storm, sounded like it was fairly close I'd say within a 150 yards and that was the highlight of the morning lol.... Thought I heard something behind me around 9:30 bit whatever it was never showed or moved thru behind me.... Winds really picked up and I did a still hunt thru a swamp in front of me too see if anything was in there.... Nothing busted out but lots of sign and beds in there so if there was anything there it should of blown out or I would of seen them sneaking out as it's open on the front side I was heading too.... If this wind doesn't die down I'll be taking the afternoon off and hitting it in the morning....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Hunt #5: Morning

Hours: 5

Does: 4

Bucks: 1

Yotes: heard one lol

Got in early and situated bumped a deer a hundred yards from my truck, busted back into the swamp.... Made it back too the stand without any more action.... Got situated and sat back closed my eyes and just took it all in.... Dead quiet no wind or noise from trains or traffic, perfect set in the darkness.... Didn't last long, two hoot owls about a 1/4 mile apart started singing to me and then the yote chimed in so I was being wooed by critters this morning hahaha

After the yote stopped howling I heard movement behind me in the redbrush and could make out a deer just couldn't tell if doe or buck.... That was it for action till 9 when a small buck chased a doe by and she headed for the hills in overdrive lol... He came back thru walked by me and he's a 1.5 5 point.... Decent size body pencil rack.... Had three more doe come by and little buck made three more appearances with one being rattled in.... lol not what I a as hoping for lol.....

My buddy was up over a hill from me and had small bucks and a couple of yearling doe in his area so the young ones are up and at em but the big boys are still scarce so far..... This week is a bust for me hunting but next Monday and thru the end of November it's game on....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Hunt: #6 Morning

Hours: 5

Does: 5

Critters: Squirrels 2 (no yotes)

Got in the stand a little latter hen I wanted too... First time out since time change got situated and it was getting too where you could make out shapes.... Frosty morning and heard her before I could make her out.... 50 yards out in the swamp all by herself.... Hour later another doe by her lonesome...... Then @ 10:00 two doe moved thru and bedded on the hillside in a thicket next too the tracks.... 4 trains moved thru they didn't bat an eye.... A NS crew in a club cab pickup drove down in between the tracks and they jumped up shot across the swamp and watched them go by..... They headed west away from me and with the wind at their backs too the bedding area.... They picked up another doe about half way there.... Waited until 11 and heard a train coming and slipped out with it. Overlong me..... Double edge sword, I dropped an arrow and didn't realize it until I got back too the truck ... Oh well I'll keep an eye open for it when I head back this afternoon....

My. Buddy was out and saw nothing for he two hours he had available too hunt....

No bucks with those does..... They're there and the bucks will be too.... Hopefully lol