Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

"J"s 2012-13 Hunting log

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Yeah Brock, can't really complain about not seeing deer, just can't figure out the bucks not being around all them fine looking ladies..... :smiley_confused_vra

My guess, LOCKDOWN! I agree with Kaiser, after pulling my 2 cams today I found just 2 bucks walking thru during daylight and another 4 different(small ones) cruising thru at night(10-12 day soak). Other than the buck I killed(prolly3.5 yr.old) no other mature deer on cameras. I think the more mature ones are locked in on a doe that's in or about to come in. Just MO.

Keep sticking with it J, they'll be back around after they hit it a few times and come looking for more.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
My guess, LOCKDOWN! I agree with Kaiser, after pulling my 2 cams today I found just 2 bucks walking thru during daylight and another 4 different(small ones) cruising thru at night. Other than the buck I killed(prolly3.5 yr.old) no other mature deer on cameras. I think the more mature ones are locked in on a doe that's in or about to come in. Just MO.

Keep sticking with it J, they'll be back around after they hit it a few times and come looking for more.

Ric, I'm off work till the 16th and will be out every day all day..... I'm on a mission and it's not going too be because I haven't given my all :smiley_clap: Last weeks weather put some damper on it but this weeks should make up for it....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Well, saw 2 doe and a BB on an all day sit... No bucks cruising but my buddy dropped a nice 14 point this morning.... There's a post about it and you can see the picture... Nice buck, and he's a consistant buck hunter with plenty of good wall hangers.... I talk to him after every sit and he calls me as well and we compare notes and give advice, well he advises I lesten lol.... He thinks one of my stands needs moved too a better spot and he knows exactly where that is... SO after the morning sit we're moving a stand too a little out of the way honey hole that he says will improve my odds... I'm hoping he's right because as of now I'm not getting any good feelings about any good bucks in the areas where I'm concentrating in..... Time will tell lol.... So here goes too new beginings lol... Mid rut change up, we'll see what becomes of it.... Wish me luck I'm thinking I'm going too need it.... :smiley_coolpeace:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Don't know where too start, so I guess I won't.... We'll see what the next 8 days bring me...... Going for broke after tomorrow and hopefully the deer Gods Jesse were referring too look kindly on my ill played out thought process.....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I've targeted a buck that needs taken out of the gene pool lol.... He's had the same rack for two straight years according too the neighbors with one of their friends missing it last year..... He's no trophy by a lot of people’s standard but this elusive sob has been dodging me for two straight week’s lol.... I had my chance Tuesday and didn't let the arrow fly, and I may be regretting that move the remainder of the season, but didn't feel comfortable with it and he walked..... Fast forward too the next night watched him trash a sapling for 20 minutes at last light just too see him fade into the darkness.... Saturday morning had 12 deer with him chasing the does down in front of me for close too an hour..... He went by with the does and I couldn't get him too stop both times he ran by.... The doe went into a red brush thicket got him all confused and they came out in front of me and stood there for a couple of minutes when he exited on the opposite side of it 40 yards and too thick too see the vitals let alone shoot thru.... They played stare down until the doe ran back into the swamp and it was on again until he chased them out of sight.... Watched more deer the remainder of the day and had a couple of bbcucks chasing little does around and not sure they would of know what too do if they caught them :smiley_clap: I've lost track of the hours I've been on stand and at this point I really don't want too know lol.... But most days are 10-12 hours out on stand or moving from one stand too another too get the circulation flowing again or too uncramp my muscles lol.... Yesterday spend the morning on stand till noon, got down pulled cards on the other side of the farm came back for the afternoon and saw 1 deer too far too see what it was come off of a ridge at last light..... Friends were half mile too a mile away and they saw 1 deer each all day as well..... Saw the temps would be warmer today and stayed in bed this morning slept in, surprised the wife (and the dogs for some reason) rotflmao Told her too make arrangement’s with her other husband cause I'm here :pickle: Anyways, talked too my friends they went out and saw nothing moving at all..... Was thinking about going out this afternoon but winds are way up and I'm thinking an all day sit in the rain tomorrow will be my penance for being lazy today..... :smiley_chinrub:

Sorry for the long post, but I just started rambling on lol.... anyway gave it a break for today will hit it next week and with the temps coming back down Tuesday hopefully they'll be on the move again..... I think my target is hooked up for a couple of days anyway so I'm not too worried, he can't stay in bed forever lol.....

Here's a video of what I'm after he's no trophy too most but now I'm willing too eat a tag over him.....

http://s261.beta.photobucket.com/user/janda84/media/PICT0029-1.mp4.html

Last edited:

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
That swayed back and big blocky chest suggests hes an older deer. i'd take him out.

Besides, i like those funky lopsided racks, i think they're kinda cool.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Just had a nice. 130-140 class 12 point dogging a doe with a spike in tow.... went into the red brush and out runs a button buck hauling ass. Like his tails on fire lol.... the doe didn't follow the trail she blazed her own with him following..... can't seem too catch a break lol... cool too watch him working her....