Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Investing

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Tesla's only chance is selling off their parents. As an auto producer and seller they suck. They miss production deadlines. They miss earning a profit. . . .Elon is certainly visionary. I'm not sure he is very business savvy. Getting in the auto industry is a little different than his original business venture.
Sorry I cant see how you can make the comparison of an automaker that only does EV autos and solar panels to companies that have their hands in a multitude of business sectors and multiple opportunities per person across numerous industries. That's apples to oranges and as soon as that's realized we will see how over inflated they are. They're gonna have to sell everyone and their 3 unborn kids 2 vehicles and an acre of solar panels. They're struggling now and they pretty much own this corner of the market with next to no competitors. Its gonna get interesting once the real automakers that provide dividends and have a real valuation jump into the game.
I dont understand who invests into them. So many people say omfg the future they will turn into something. Okay but how about now. That's like buying a house and paying 3x the value of the house because maybe in 50 years itll he worth more. Nah I'll pay what it's worth now.... or keep on moving.
Tesla's reported $105 million in net income for the fourth quarter of 2019 was due entirely to the sale of $133 million in government-issued tax credits. The company continues to lose money on every car it sells.

A little excerpt from a financial newsletter I subscribe to. I won't deny 368,000 is a lot. When they say they are producing a million a year and miss production numbers by nearly 2/3 the mark.. . .not great business.
Do t get me wrong. I wouldn't touch Tesla stock with a 10 foot pole now. I personally think it's a trendy bubble.
LOLZ.

I only wish I wouldn’t have been a pussy and would’ve bought into TSLA like my gut told me to. I hate stocks. 😂

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
LOLZ.

I only wish I wouldn’t have been a pussy and would’ve bought into TSLA like my gut told me to. I hate stocks. 😂

Pretty sure I stated somewhere in there: I'm no financial advisor. 🤷🤦‍♂️

I'm still sticking to my plan: buy rock solid companies when they go on sale. Sit on them forever. Never invest into companies like Tesla more than I'm willing to lose. I still don't believe in the company. I still feel Elon is quite visionary. I don't see Tesla lasting as an auto maker. Maybe selling rights to their proprietary technology will be enough. I dunno? I'm just a dumb lawn mower jockey.

Reactions: jagermeister

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Pretty sure I stated somewhere in there: I'm no financial advisor. 🤷🤦‍♂️

I'm still sticking to my plan: buy rock solid companies when they go on sale. Sit on them forever. Never invest into companies like Tesla more than I'm willing to lose. I still don't believe in the company. I still feel Elon is quite visionary. I don't see Tesla lasting as an auto maker. Maybe selling rights to their proprietary technology will be enough. I dunno? I'm just a dumb lawn mower jockey.
Nah man, you’re approach is solid. I just felt like giving you a little grief. 😅

Reactions: hickslawns

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Be real about it though. Buy 2 shares at $500 ea. You're up $2k now. Look at all the shorts against the company at that time though. MANY people were betting they would go down. You aren't up since you didn't buy. You are out if they would have declined. It's all a gamble.

Reactions: jagermeister

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
LOLZ.

Hey now I was defending tesla exceeding production goals when I said that. I still think its a trendy bubble but that doesn't mean there isn't money to be made in the meantime. The trick will be knowing when to get out IMO. I'm doubtful that Tesla will remain at the top of the electric car market once the bigger producers start to jump in the pool with serious R&D. Right now Tesla is enjoying being the tip of the spear but I can't help but wonder how bad a company like Toyota could completely fuck their world if they seriously wanted to jump in the market. I'm just not a risk taking investor. I prefer solid longer term gains of companies with a history of performance and a positive future outlook. I just have a sneaky feeling that bigger auto producers are letting tesla smooth out the bumps in the road and take the lumps before jumping in and killing them with competition. There's just no way that everyone will let tesla have such a massive share of what is argubably the future of the auto industry without eventually challenging them.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Gotta know when to hold'em. Know when to fold'em.

That is the hard part. I'm with you Joe. I'll stick to slow and steady. My American Express is up 25-30%. It isn't going away. Same with Coke or Starbucks or Microsoft. I bought on the dip and I'll let them ride for decades.

Jamie

Ohio
yep. I'm on the get-rich-slowly program, too. I have no interest in gambling with risky stock purchases or paying short term capital gains taxes on the quick scores. I don't really have much interest in investing in general, aside from the results. just not my thing. I earn money, pay a fiduciary to grow it for me.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The new battery announcement is forthcoming in the days ahead. Watch the jump and enjoy the ride.
My account is up 29% in the last 12 months. That is including weathering the Rona dip. Not sure what my IRAs or other policies are doing as I just let them suck the money out monthly and forget about it. Just referring to my individual stocks being up 29%. It is hard to complain right now. If Biden gets elected, it might do even better things for Tesla. Then again, the rest of the market will nose dive.

Reactions: 5Cent

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Its been crazy watching the indexes hit new records, best August since the mid 80's.

The Phillips curve is now dead, the death spiral has technically begun with debt higher than GDP, but the train continues to chug.....uncharted territory!

Reactions: hickslawns
1599738560920.png