Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

IKS....PA Style...

PA deer camp has always been and will ever be, nothing to do with deer hunting. It's in the middle 550,000 acres of Allegheny National Forest. Truly about being with the guys and having a great time, regardless if we see any deer or not.

The camp itself has been around for about 50 years. The track record hasn't been that great but every couple years someone managed to shoot a spike or forkhorn before the antler point restrictions in years past. I started going there only 4 years ago. It's my buddy Jim familys' camp and and they were gracious enough to let me come in. The last few years my buddy Ryan and Evan have also joined me for this adventure we call Pennsylvania hunting.

Fast forward to this weekend. I got in on Saturday and after much discussion about how much it was actually going to rain we decided to go out and squirrel hunt across the street in the forest. Didn't see any squirrels saw plenty of deer sign and got drenched. we came back and in true PA camp fashion tried to drink an entire bottle of whiskey. Ryan and Evan got in Sundaymorning. We went to scout The ridge and I decided this year I was going to find a better spot for myself as I've been a Gypsy the last couple years. found a great spot with Bunches of trails about a hundred yards away off the top of the ridge where I could see about a hundred yards maybe a little farther.

We snuck in early Monday morning. The walk-in is about two and a half miles to my spot it's an old logging road which makes it slightly easier but it's still two and a half miles of a drag out if I shot anything. got set up around 5:30 at around 6:30 when it started getting light I noticed some movement about 50 yards away. Once it got lighter I realized I had four does bedded right under me and I had snuck in without them knowing. at around 7:30 another group of those around 6 of them came in and bump those those out of the bed and they all headed north towards the valley. At around 0800 I noticed a large body moving in from the south from the top of the ridge. As I try to get my binos ready I realized I had dropped them in the snow and the eyecups were full of snow. Of course as I'm fumbling around trying to look and see what if it was a buck, it kept moving. after finally clearing my by knows I looked out and realized it was a shooter. With pas antler point restrictions it had to be 3 on one side. I look through the scope which of course was foggy tried to unfog it and looked back out. The deer was about 120 yards at this point. It's thick, saplings everywhere. Once I got a clear picture. All I could see was his head and his shoulder. At 150 yds. Iet the .270 bark and saw the deer mule kick and disappear. quite happy to find he basically dropped right where I shot him behind a rock. Definitely the adventure I've always been wanting from Pennsylvania. Very happy with my public land deer!
IMG_20181124_095030.jpeg
IMG_20181125_144327.jpeg
IMG_20181126_073152.jpeg
00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20181126083157626.jpeg
00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20181126083203951_COVER.jpeg
IMG_20181126_092436.jpeg
IMG_20181126_085012.jpeg
IMG_20181126_085002.jpeg
00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20181127132343259_COVER~2.jpeg
IMG_20181126_123226.jpeg

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Love it man, congrats on a great ANF buck!

I grew up at my uncle's cabin at hermit springs, just down the road from you (if u r the member who said they hunt heart's content). Nothing beats the true deer camp of big woods PA, with the gun drawing on Saturday nights and a few rounds day down range on Sunday.

Love it man, congrats on a great ANF buck!

I grew up at my uncle's cabin at hermit springs, just down the road from you (if u r the member who said they hunt heart's content). Nothing beats the true deer camp of big woods PA, with the gun drawing on Saturday nights and a few rounds day down range on Sunday.
Exactly! Our squirrel hunting adventure was at Hearts Content Recreation Area. Lol We used to go to the gun drawing at Cherry Grove Volunteer FD but decided not to this year. Deer are getting better and better. Our ridge is super thick. Had a cam.out one day and it picked up a monster. Can't wait to get there next year!

Reactions: 5Cent