Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

I did a little something last night, meet Fred!

Floki

11-10, the day I was supposed to be back to work😉. I gave it up the night before foolishly thinking I was gonna trick myself into going to work, I even took my stand down the night before in full commitment.

as I was sitting in my recliner drinking coffee the time had passed that I would normally have left to go hunting. My mind was racing 3 days 1 missed shot and 3 encounters. I just need one more shot! At that point I was 30 minutes behind when my glaucoma kicked in and I was off.

Knowing I wasn’t gonna make it to where I wanted I just grabbed a preset I had up to observe for the morning. At 11 I got down to grab a snack and evaluate what I wanted to do. The wind was all south but at the last part of the day going to get some eastern back in it.
It’s the last chance I need to push, whats the worst that happens I don’t kill Fred!

i decided I needed to come in from the 4 lane on the backside, catching a ride and being dropped off and so I went. I’ll find a tree in the west side of that north woods. Once I got in there I couldn’t find an option nothing! Looking across that woods at that lone pin oak I had spent so much time in, she was glorious just calling me to come back home. I would drop back over to the 4 lane catch the pond edge and make my way.

Yellow Jackets, as I start my climb, I carry 3 sticks and I do all in one fail swoop, sticks hang from belt and stand on my back, I do all in one trip up. I’d just hung my second stick, I can feel something in my pant leg and at that time I’m hanging halfway up this tree all my gear on me one stick and stand to go. I had obviously stepped in a nest on my way in and the proceed to start stinging the shit out of my leg and knee. Not a fucking thing I could do, let go…. I don’t thinks so I’m not falling out of this tree. I couldn’t do shit till I got that last stick and stand hung. At which point I quickly got in s squashing them in my pants till I could get them out😂.

Dont worry I’m gonna kill him soon!

After getting settled doing what we do, check phone , relax look around. I look up to see those antlers that have become so familiar to me over the last 3 days prior. Doing what he does protecting his prized possession, 100 yrds away on a field edge. I look at my phone 1640, Ive got about an hour and a half to make this last go. As I watched I made the decision if nothing happens in 45 minutes, I’m going after him. Once again what’s the worst that happens, I have a good story.

same shit different day, he’s got a posse watching for their chance. And once again she breaks, up and down back and forth. Once again I’m just trying to keep up with Fred. I know it sound crazy but guys that hunt this stuff understand. Big field little wood lots. You can watch them running everywhere. She comes screaming into the northern woods, zig zagging with little guys running all over trying to keep up.

After what seemed like forever she lost all of them running right past me heading south down an old four wheeler trail along the pond. One by one the bucks start filtering out dumbfounded running different ways trying to pick up her scent. Every single one of them came out but Fred. I madly scanning looking for him bow in hand. When 40 yrds in front of me he popped out of that woods. Just walking as if he doesn’t have anything left in him.

Stopped looking left and right not known where to go, I’m screaming in my head Right you want to come right! And….. he did. Again, I’m putting tension on that string as he’s stubble stepping towards me. I’m scanning for an opening, I got a basketball size hole in the direction he’s heading at 18 yrds I quickly look back at him picking my spot burning a hole in him, with my fingers buried into my teeth at full draw, with that arrow in flight as soon as he stumbles into that opening. Going fletchings deep into the spot I burned into his rib cage, On a death run crashing in that cut corn field.

looking down at my phone it was 1710! All of that, that seemed like eternity was over in 30 minutes.

40 minutes later I was sitting by his side , soaking it all in. Thinking about the last 11 days and how it all had become a blur…All over one single deer, and what a ride it had been.
Awesome write up and that’s one hell of a deer. Congratulations!!👍5⭐️

Reactions: JOHNROHIO