Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hunting with a 10mm?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I don't see why it wouldn't work. As with anything it's about knowing your limitations. Conduct some bench testing and find an effective range that you feel comfortable. As for killing power it doesn't take much to kill an animal, if you hit them right and understand when you're asking more of the round that what it is capable of. A lot of deer meat has been put on the table with a .22LR.

Reactions: Bowhunter57

Jamie

Ohio
I've killed a dozen or so whitetails since 2011 with a .41mag revolver, and every one of them had two holes in it, none went over 100 yards, some didn't make it 40 or 50. my hand loads are 210 grain Hornady XTP's going roughly 1200fps. this is an extremely accurate and fairly hot load (13.5 grains of Blue Dot, which exceeds my reloading manuals maximum charge by .5 grains) but I'm taking bow shots with this gun. longest shot has been about 40 yards, most 25 or less. I've had good results with this relatively heavy/slow load, and I'd be leaning that direction with any handgun for hunting. you can kill a deer with a 10mm, no doubt about it.

Reactions: GoetsTalon

Chass

The Hills
I know quite a few that used theirs last year in a 1911 platform. Accuracy is dependent on you mostly and a little with the firearm you choose. Reliability is gonna depend on the choice of firearm and how you maintain it. Killing power, if it's a permitted weapon it can get the job done.

The 10mm is becoming extremely popular extremely fast. Seems to be picked over the .40 all the time now. Just a quick google since I dont have my load books handy it looks like they can be pushed pretty fast 1500fps+ with a lighter bullet. I'd say go for 200gr or heavier and push it as fast as ya can which should be 1100-1200fps.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Started hunting last year with one. Haven't killed anything with it yet. If I don't connect during bow season I'll give it another try this year. It's pretty accurate but I wouldn't shoot any farther than I would with my bow or crossbow with it. It's not 41 mag power but real close. Think of it as a really hot .357 mag. 180 grain bullets over 1200fps and with that six inch barrel a bit more. No chrono so just going by published reloading data.
IMG_20190313_181146268.jpg