Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hunting in Ohio

Whudey

Me and some family are thinking about coming to Ohio to deer hunt some public lands either this season or next. We live in VA and are interested in hunting another state. I would be will real appreciative for any tips and locations that would produce some good hunting. We are looking at the southeastern part of Ohio. Thanks for any info you all might have.

Reactions: Chancegriffis

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, there are very few public hunting areas in Ohio where you can avoid other hunters, if any at all. Especially during the rut. But don’t let that discourage you. The majority of those hunters are lazy or tend to overlook high quality ambush spots. My advice to you is find an area near some comfortable accommodations. Then spend your first 2-3 days with your focus on reconnaissance. Hunt, but make it a priority to scout and assess the lay of the land. Key in on acorn flats for your evening hunts. And find funnels, saddles, or scrape lines on secondary ridges (benches) for your morning hunts. Don’t be afraid to get aggressive and hunt close to doe bedding areas. Good luck, enjoy your time here, and above all else be respectful of the land and other hunters.

Whudey

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, there are very few public hunting areas in Ohio where you can avoid other hunters, if any at all. Especially during the rut. But don’t let that discourage you. The majority of those hunters are lazy or tend to overlook high quality ambush spots. My advice to you is find an area near some comfortable accommodations. Then spend your first 2-3 days with your focus on reconnaissance. Hunt, but make it a priority to scout and assess the lay of the land. Key in on acorn flats for your evening hunts. And find funnels, saddles, or scrape lines on secondary ridges (benches) for your morning hunts. Don’t be afraid to get aggressive and hunt close to doe bedding areas. Good luck, enjoy your time here, and above all else be respectful of the land and other hunters.
Thanks for info. I appreciate it. I have been an avid hunter for about 35 + years, was raised to be respectful to nature and other hunters. It's up to all us hunters to preserve this great sport for generations to come.

Reactions: Isaacorps and giles

Whudey

If you decide to come a little further north into east central ohio I would be willing to help ya get on some good ground and give ya a few tips. I’m not ohio expert as I just moved here last year but I have been hunting for 10+ years and might be able to help you out!
Where abouts you thinking?