Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hoyt is loud when shooting

PSE13

Shelby
Hey y’all. It’s been a long while since I have been on but I figured maybe someone can help me in the right direction. I have been shooting my bow (16 Hoyt Powermax) and it’s awful loud when shooting. Sounds like the string. I know this might sound crazy but you can not hear it shooting indoors. It can only be heard shooting it outside. The guys at the local bow shop thought I was crazy until I talked them in to going outside and shooting it. Then they heard it. Anyways I have stripped all accessories off the bow and it’s still present. I was doing some research and found a tuning video about yoke tuning. After watching the video I was looking at my bow and noticed that the top cam doesn’t look entirely straight or square with the bottom cam and it doesn’t look like my arrow is flying straight like it should. I’m taking it tomorrow after work to hopefully get it completely retuned in hopes that it helps because i personally don’t know what else to do. Any other input or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Reactions: Big_Holla

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Could be a tuning issue. Usually it a timing issue that causes them to get louder. Meaning one cam is more advanced than the other and beating the other upon release. or they could both be out of tune due to string stretch, which can also cause cam lean. Some bows have a slight cam lean at rest though. Without having the bow in my hands I'm just throwing shit at the wall though.

PSE13

Shelby
Could be a tuning issue. Usually it a timing issue that causes them to get louder. Meaning one cam is more advanced than the other and beating the other upon release. or they could both be out of tune due to string stretch, which can also cause cam lean. Some bows have a slight cam lean at rest though. Without having the bow in my hands I'm just throwing shit at the wall though.
Completely understand that. I have been fighting this issue since I bought it new. Yeah it kills deer but it shouldn’t sound like it does.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm NOT the right guy to answer this. But. . .I don't need to know how to tune a bow to ask some obvious questions. Often times it is the simple things we overlook.

Has anything changed? Are you shooting the same arrows? Same release? Haven't swapped anything? If nothing has changed, then I'll let the bow gurus continue. Because I'm not that guy. Lol

Reactions: PSE13

PSE13

Shelby
I'm NOT the right guy to answer this. But. . .I don't need to know how to tune a bow to ask some obvious questions. Often times it is the simple things we overlook.

Has anything changed? Are you shooting the same arrows? Same release? Haven't swapped anything? If nothing has changed, then I'll let the bow gurus continue. Because I'm not that guy. Lol
Haven’t changed a thing. I have never been able to get it to go away. I had cat whiskers put on it and it made it a very little bit quieter.

Get it to the best bow guy you can find, even if you got a 50 mile trip one way. That Hoyt should not be loud. The right guy, hopefully a Hoyt guy, but not necessary will fix it right. Now every bow shop will tell you they are the guy. Find someone who shoots leagues and such and get recommendations.

Here may be a start.

Somebody here on this board will point you straight and give you a name.

Reactions: PSE13

PSE13

Shelby
Get it to the best bow guy you can find, even if you got a 50 mile trip one way. That Hoyt should not be loud. The right guy, hopefully a Hoyt guy, but not necessary will fix it right. Now every bow shop will tell you they are the guy. Find someone who shoots leagues and such and get recommendations.

Here may be a start.

Somebody here on this board will point you straight and give you a name.
Thanks! I have sent out a email to Hoyt and I’m waiting for a reply. I love the bow but the noise has got to go. If they mess me around tomorrow I’ll look elsewhere or buy something else.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
So, you took it to a local bow shop and they heard it make the noise? Did they not investigate the origin of the noise for you?

It could be caused by a number of things. Hold the bow in one hand and, making a fist with the other, hit the bow riser in multiple locations with the heel of your closed fist. Listen for the rattling of any potentially loose parts/pieces. Could be loose rest parts, loose draw stops, loose draw modules, or even a loose allen stud holding the rod for the string suppressor. Do this and rule out any easy and obvious causes. After doing that, you will likely need to check the synchronization and the timing of the cams. A bow that is out of tune can be a noisy and shock-producing beast. Usually when it's a tuning problem, you feel it as much as you hear it. When is the last time you replaced your string/cables?

PSE13

Shelby
So, you took it to a local bow shop and they heard it make the noise? Did they not investigate the origin of the noise for you?

It could be caused by a number of things. Hold the bow in one hand and, making a fist with the other, hit the bow riser in multiple locations with the heel of your closed fist. Listen for the rattling of any potentially loose parts/pieces. Could be loose rest parts, loose draw stops, loose draw modules, or even a loose allen stud holding the rod for the string suppressor. Do this and rule out any easy and obvious causes. After doing that, you will likely need to check the synchronization and the timing of the cams. A bow that is out of tune can be a noisy and shock-producing beast. Usually when it's a tuning problem, you feel it as much as you hear it. When is the last time you replaced your string/cables?
Yea I took it to the bow shop and nothing was done except cat whiskers. This has been an issue since new. Strings and cables are are still factory but in great condition.

I have held the bow with one hand and hit the riser and other parts with my other hand. Nothing can be heard. I have done this bare bow and loaded. I have went over every screw on the bow and verified they’re tight. People think I’m crazy when I tell them it’s only heard when shooting outside until I show them.

I can notice a weird flight with my arrows which are all new and were roll tested. I can notice my top cam leaning a different way the the string is coming off of it. Almost like it might need yoke tuned?

PSE13

Shelby
Yeah it’s present on every shot. Never goes away. The nocks seem to fit good. Not loose and I don’t have to apply a bunch of force to get them on the string.

PSE13

Shelby
Haven’t changed my arrow set up at all. They’re 360 ish grain complete arrow. Shot the same set up outta all my bows.

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
Yeah. 20 yards indoors. It does it at every distance outdoors.

Vibration

Just remember that noise is vibration and bows certainly do vibrate. Sound needs something to travel on and most of the time it is air, any solid object will also transmit noise. Desity of an object (air) will effect how well the sound is transmitted. Indoors where there is a controlled atmosphere the sound of the arrow's impact will travel quickly to your ear and drown out the twang from the string. Outdoors with more humidity in the air as well as more noise (from wind ect.) the arrow's impact will not be as load allowing you to hear more twang. Ther is much more science involved and I can not go much deeper then this but I hope it helps.
Phil

From ARCHERY TALK FORUM

Reactions: Jackalope and Cogz

PSE13

Shelby
Vibration

Just remember that noise is vibration and bows certainly do vibrate. Sound needs something to travel on and most of the time it is air, any solid object will also transmit noise. Desity of an object (air) will effect how well the sound is transmitted. Indoors where there is a controlled atmosphere the sound of the arrow's impact will travel quickly to your ear and drown out the twang from the string. Outdoors with more humidity in the air as well as more noise (from wind ect.) the arrow's impact will not be as load allowing you to hear more twang. Ther is much more science involved and I can not go much deeper then this but I hope it helps.
Phil

From ARCHERY TALK FORUM
I understand that. I also understand that there will never be no noise while shooting. I’m taking it to have it tuned after work today because there’s a noticeable amount of cam lean on the top cam. You and see the cam and leaning one way and the string heading the other way. Probably not good for it.

Reactions: Cogz