Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

How far is too far?

Creamer

Athens
I watched a hunting video over holiday break that really got me thinking. What was shown in there was pretty shocking, to me. Not so much to the hunter, apparently, but it was an eye opener to me. I actually like the Bowmar's, I enjoy their content on YouTube. Jump to the 16:15 mark of this video (if it doesn't automatically go there).

I know the guy can shoot. I know guys like Cam Hanes can shoot extreme distances. But when the flight time of the arrow is long enough for an ELK to take a few steps and have the arrow hit dirt what looks like 18+ inches behind its ass, maybe it's time to re-evaluate how close you need to get for the shot? Josh was incredibly fortunate that he hit dirt and didn't make a horrible wounding hit on that bull. Shooting paper or foam at huge distances (which I will openly admit, I couldn't do when I shot a compound) is one thing. Flesh and blood is another. I can't think of a more glaring example in high-def video footage showing how horribly it can all go wrong for even a elite level shooter. And he appeared to make a pretty good shot, when you watch the marked video in slow motion. If you can do everything right and still miss the animals vitals by several feet, maybe it's time to get closer.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I know guys in Arizona who could put any of us to absolute shame when it comes to long distance shooting. Two have killed antelope at 130+ with a bow.

The range is completely dependent on the shooter and the situation. We can't throw out an abstract yardage and say xyz should be the absolute max in every situation. The "what about" and "this could happen, that could happen" game is a neverending circle. The only person who knows for sure is the one about to break the shot.

Creamer

Athens
I know guys in Arizona who could put any of us to absolute shame when it comes to long distance shooting. Two have killed antelope at 130+ with a bow.

The range is completely dependent on the shooter and the situation. We can't throw out an abstract yardage and say xyz should be the absolute max in every situation. The "what about" and "this could happen, that could happen" game is a neverending circle. The only person who knows for sure is the one about to break the shot.

Oh I agree, it's different for different people. It's just a little attention-grabbing when the shooter breaks a good release on an arrow and still comes nowhere close to the animal. Maybe if the arrow had stuck the bull in the ass cheek it would have been a little more profound...but it missed the ass cheek by a solid 2 feet.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
My own son shot a deer this year at a distance I’d have never attempted. It took so long for the arrow to reach the deer that he had an instant to think he had missed, and then he heard the thump. The deer traveled less distance after the shot than the distance the shot was made. To me, it’s absolutely insane. To him, it worked perfectly this time. And I’m sure he will be confident in doing it again until he gets bad results, which I’m sure he will. Then again, as he said after the shot, sometimes you shoot em at 20 yards and the results are poor.

Perhaps this is one reason Hornady is fast becoming my favorite broadhead. 😁

Buckmaster

Portage
My longest shot was 42 yards. My shortest was 3. My ideal is 25 and under...closer the better....after 45 free passes are issued for deer.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
My longest shot was 42 yards. My shortest was 3. My ideal is 25 and under...closer the better....after 45 free passes are issued for deer.
45 has been my longest as well. Shade under 5 on the ground my shortest. That shot worried me more as it was hard too pick a spot....

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
My first deer with my Switchback was at 51 steps. Tracie was right next to me and she had enough time to say "wow' between the release and the impact. It took FOREVER for that arrow to get there. Now, I might stretch it to 45, but 40 is really my preferred limit. Again, it's not a technological limit, but a self-imposed limit based on what's comfortable ethically.

Everyone has their own answer to this one. I have yet to take a shot over 20 yards at a deer, most were 15 or less. But, I admit with my Ten-Point crossbow I would shoot out to 25 yards, which I wouldn't have considered with my Horton crossbows. In reality all my stands I now hunt are positioned to shoot ranges less than 25 yards due to terrain features. To say the least, I like hunting tight funnels. and set up my box stands accordingly.

My buddy has yard markers every 10 yards from 20-60 yards at his stand. I think he will wound or miss a few in the 45 to 60 yard range as time goes by. But, then again I may be surprised. I had a stand where his sits now and saw plenty of 30-50 yard opportunities at good bucks and held off.

Like I said, we all have different abilities and opinions. Like Joe said, one can't say range xyz fits everyone.

I had a friend shoot a buck at 96 yards years ago with an early Jennings compound. But he admitted if he tried the shot 50 more times he'd be lucky to connect with a lethal hit.

Yes, we hear of killing shots past the 100 yard mark, but how many misses and wounded animals do we not hear about? Don't get me wrong though. Like Brock stated, mistakes can happen at any range. I've hit deer under 20 yards under perfect shooting conditions that I never recovered.