Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hortontoters 2016 Whitetail Journey

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Best of luck the next couple of weeks Dick. I know you haven't had the pics early you were hoping for. If it will happen, it will be in the next couple weeks. Looking forward to some success story updates!

rsmith

I've found that cameras don't mean that much to me anymore. They only see a small portion of what is really going on. I've had deer bounce right around the camera and never get a pic of them but then when I'm in the stand I litterly see deer stand right behind the camera and meander around but never walk in front of it. I'm sure that you will have an encounter with that buck soon, just a matter of being in the right stand at the right time. Good luck Dick.

You are right. Cameras only catch a small glimpse of the big picture. I can't say for sure that a camera has ever put me in the right spot at the right time. But, they do give me a lot of useful info. As most of you know I like hunting a particular buck or two until at least mid November. After mid November any decent 8 point or better I may choose to take. Small bucks and does just don't trip my trigger at this point in life. I base the buck or bucks that I choose to hunt based on what my cameras capture. I choose where to place and when to hunt a stand based on the last 5-7 years of trail camera history. Some stands produce more traffic at different times of the season. From about Oct. 20 to mid November I spend most of my time in my creek bottom stand that is a great funnel. Early season and during gun season I spend most of my time in my outhouse stand. At times I feel I burn out my stands, but I bank on the odds. I feel the more time I can spend in a stand with a good wind the better chance I have of crossing paths with the buck I'm after. Sometimes it works, sometimes not, but it is always interesting to be there. Speaking of that I got to get moving, my creek bottom is calling me.

Dick, what is your arrow broadhead set up on your Horton...just curious.

I have been using CrossBolt 20" carbon arrows for a long time. These are 300 grains with 4" vanes. On the end is a 4 bladed Muzzy model 209 broadhead with a 1" cut diameter. After much experimenting I found the smaller diameter broadhead flies best in my setup. This arrow/head combination give me approx. 265 fps as the arrow leaves the bow. Slow by todays standard, but lethal at short ranges. If you need any more info PM me anytime.

This week was a bit slow at my place. My hunting partner, Jeff, and I made three sits this week. Thursday and Friday both yielded sightings, including two bucks, for my hunting partner. I stuck to my creek bottom funnel hoping SOS might appear, no dice. I almost creamed a big bodied buck with my truck about a mile from my cabin driving home Friday.

Plan to hit it pretty hard this week. Hoping for at least one or two all day sits this week. Spent today dealing with 10 million fallen oak leaves at the cabin. I need to thin out some trees, but just can't see cutting live acorn producing oaks.

Another week has passed by. My target bucks are winning, but I'm having a total blast participating. This week I spent approx. 36 hours in a stand in four days. Had a few great encounters with a deer I've decided to call Six Pack. I coined this title for him, as he is about to drive me to drinking. He is a big 6 point (with tiny brows) that keeps testing me. I do believe he wants me to kill him, why I'll never know. I had him in my crosshairs twice this week at less than 20 yards. So far I've restrained wanting a bigger buck. But, I must admit he is testing my patience. My goal is to put a tag on a buck before the gun opener. I'm holding out for a while longer, but in my mind I'm thinking me and Six Pack are destined to get hand to antler in the near future.

Sometimes you have to accept the fate you are given! Or perhaps someone is testing you to see if you are worthy of something much bigger! LOL Glad you are enjoying your season Dick!! Reading something like that really helps me pass the time before we finally get into the woods!

SOS has been a no show other than the one time. Here is Six Pack just before he shed his velvet. He has been a regular visitor all summer at the TR. He seems to like teasing me in my creek bottom as of late.

Attachments

• HUNT3128.jpg
    HUNT3128.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 274

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I wouldn't think any less of you for shooting 6 Pack. He is a pretty deer. I have a 6pt I am considering shooting. I'd like to see what he becomes, but the way my season is going. . . He may become deer burger and a skull mount. lol Thanks for updating this Dick. I enjoyed reading it.