Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hortontoters 2016 Whitetail Journey

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Good stuff Dick!

I'm in same boat as you! Wish I could be hunting more up till now but don't think I'm missing much either! It won't be long though and the big boys are going to start extending their ranges...:pickle:

Finally had a chance to sit on a stand. Was on my stool in my outhouse stand for maybe two minutes and the action started. A spike and what was maybe a 6 point came running towards my position. I'm sure my buddy jumped them heading to his stand. I saw a big doe at about 6:15, again this deer was on the move from the direction of my buddy's stand. I asked him later about getting out of his stand. Sure enough around 6:15 nature called. He apologized, but hey, when nature calls you best answer. I had a decent sit but it seems everytime I sit in my outhouse stand I get sick to my stomach. I'm going to make another post about what I think may be going on.

A quick update. I spent most of the last week on stand. Hunted Sunday evening, Monday morning and evening, Tuesday evening, Thursday evening and Friday evening. Me and my pick-up both need a breather. I only had one encounter on Thursday evening. This week could have been titled The Griswold's Go Deer Hunting. One disaster after another. Between flat tractor tires, dead batteries, a mouse chewed wire on my tractors armature and a starter replacement I found plenty of stand time. My biggest blunder came on Thursday evening. Due to heavy clouds darkness came early that evening. I decided to slip out at 6:50 due to poor shooting light. I opened the back door on my creek bottom stand and removed the arrow from my crossbow. I tossed the arrow out the back door of the stand as I always do before taking my crossbow out of the shooting window. As the arrow hit the leaves I caught a flash of white to my right. Yep there I am, no arrow within reach and a buck jumps the neighbors fence headed right to me. All I could think is don't be the deer I had on camera on the 22nd at 6:20. Thank God is was just a six point that I had no intention of taking anyways.

The deer I caught on camera on the 22nd made my week. This deer I'll call S.O.S. (Son of Splitter). The resemblance is amazing, both split brows and split G 2"s are nearly identical to Splitters. I'm sure this deer is an offspring that Splitter sired. I'd love to hang him next to his daddy. If he walks in front of this stand while I'm there he will meet the same fate as Splitter did. Here he is, what do you fellas think?

Attachments

• SUNP1507.jpg
    SUNP1507.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 253
  • SUNP1509.jpg
    SUNP1509.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 266
  • SUNP1510.jpg
    SUNP1510.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 284
  • SUNP1511.jpg
    SUNP1511.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 250
  • SUNP1512.jpg
    SUNP1512.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 278

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Yes, definitely from same genetic pool and needs shot by you at some point this season! He's a dandy nice buck Dick! Good luck!

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
These pic's just made my day! I have been hoping something came along to take splitters place. I will be looking forwards to seeing this one in person at the summer shoot this year! :smiley_coolpeace: Good Luck Dick!