Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hortontoters 2014-15 Season Journal

""Bet those scrapes got re-freshened after that rain. I agree with not shooting one in the rain, especially if it looks like it's going to stick around or get stronger. Glad you are getting out and enjoying things Dick!"

Funny thing is Chuck, I was thinking about those scrapes getting re-freshened after the rain as sat on stand.

I think like you, Ric. I enjoy my time to the fullest when I'm in the woods. My wife tells me I'm "in my element" when my feet step on the ground in Carroll county. She knows me to well.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Keep on keepin Dick. It gets frustrating when I get skunked a half dozen hunts in a row but realizing I'm healthy enough to at least be in the chase and sit amongst our makers creation snaps me back to realization of what's most important. It's going to get better so we just need to kick back and enjoy it till it does.

It won't be long now, Ric. In fact, this is sort of your time of year!

To say this week has been slow is an understatement. I had five sits this week and not a deer to be seen. Seems they have just vacated my property. Here is a dumb thought. A few weeks ago I had a pair of grey foxes start showing up almost every night on the camera that monitors the fence crossing near my stand. The foxes follow the same trail that the deer do when crossing the low spot in the fence. When the foxes appeared the deer disappeared. I can't imagine there is any correlation between the foxes showing up and the deer disappearing, but I'm beginning to wonder. I'm just totally stumped that my property seems devoid of deer all of the sudden.

No, I haven't dropped off the face of the earth. But, I do have a flat butt from sitting on my hunting stool.

Last week was a tough week. Lots of stand and travel time and very little sleep. My best day was Friday, as it seems was the case for many TOOzers. The bucks really turned on Friday, but as usual I picked the wrong stand to sit in. I had one 6 point at 7 yards and some other small buck encounters this past week. My buddy had two 130 class 8's in front of him on Friday afternoon just before 4 o'clock.

These three bucks, one of which was either Splitter or Junior, passed less than 100 yards below me in my creek bottom. I was hunting my outhouse at the fence crossing while they cruised my creek bottom on Friday afternoon. I had 6 different bucks come through my creek bottom funnel on Friday between 11 and 5:30.

Hoping to hunt Tuesday and Wednesday. Just maybe Splitter or Junior shows up again. You can bet I will be in the stand in the creek bottom that shows in these two photos.

Attachments

• SUNP0245.jpg
    SUNP0245.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 343
  • SUNP0246.jpg
    SUNP0246.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 302
  • SUNP0247.jpg
    SUNP0247.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 360

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Keep at it Dick! You are definitely giving it your all and putting in the time! Those bucks in the above pics would stoke any hunters fire!!! Check how dark the last ones hindlegs are! Pissed stained fer sure!

Keep at it Dick! You are definitely giving it your all and putting in the time! Those bucks in the above pics would stoke any hunters fire!!! Check how dark the last ones hindlegs are! Pissed stained fer sure!

Actually Ric the black on his legs is explainable. Right behind the camera and behind the buck in the photo is what at one time was a small pond. The earth dam gave way a number of years ago so the pond emptied. The spring that filled the pond still runs through that spot and the ground is very mucky. My guess is that the black legged deer had a run in with the bigger buck and the bigger buck chased him into the mucky area. When I blew up the photo you can see muck splashed up on the rear of his right front leg shoulder. So I presume he and the bigger buck chased each other or maybe he was chasing a doe.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Ah........ Great explanation then Dick! If you haven't named him yet that sure opens the door to several more ideas. Keep after em buddy! Good luck!