Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Horseshoe nail turkey calls

Creamer

Athens
I'd been seeing a lot of these on the socials and couldn't resist making a few of my own. There are a lot of different styles and shapes, but the common thing is obviously the horseshoe nail which is like a striker against a call surface. The easiest to obtain and best call surface I have found for mine so far has been a small ceramic car coaster. They are just under 3" in diameter.

Scrap osage limb chunks.

Padauk, don't have any oil on this one yet.

Black limba

It's not a super loud call but sounds pretty good. What I really like about it is I feel like it's less movement than running a conventional slate with a long striker. Most of the ones I see online are boxy and hollowed out. I chose to make mine on the lathe, flatten one side on a sander (nail side), and drill out the center a bit instead of hollowing out the entire side. At some point I'll do a sound clip so ya'll can hear them. I really dig it.

ThatBuckeyeGuy

Ohio
Would you consider selling one ? Just asking and curious. I don't have socials and this is the first time I've seen one. I love turkey hunting even though I haven't had a good spot In a long time. However I love unique calls especially local ones

Creamer

Athens
I had been wanting to try something new to me and finally made it happen. I had a horn that I have been holding onto for a while that was on the small side for most calls I like to make with horn (like howlers). I've never owned or used a turkey tube call, but I thought it might be a fun way to use up the horn. The buffalo horn didn't disappoint. Lots of work to get it to the final product (sanded from 80-400 grit then polishing paste) but it has some really cool colorations and fades from light to dark. The wood receiver end is a small piece of black limba. I'm still learning how to best use it but I think it sounds pretty good. The reed is .004" latex.