Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Highs and Lows Ohio 2021

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
This as been a rollercoaster of a season. Early November I hunted 10 days. During this period I lost count of how many bucks I saw let alone doe. Typically Ill see one really biggen, but this year it was 8. I could have killed a 120 class but it was early and the rut was insane. The week progressed but none of the BIG boys ever got close enough for a shot.

I had planned to come back during ML season, but I found out I had 30 vacation hours that had to be used before December 31st. We were already spending TGiving at my mother in laws so I asked my boss if I could take a few days off and telework mornings from my mothers in Johnstown.

Opening day I saw a big buck about 200 yards walking along the field and creek edge. 30 minutes later he was on my side slowly coming to me. Its super thick so taking a long shot was out of the question. The wind was perfect and I had plenty of time to patiently wait him out. He was a nine point probably in the high 140s to mid 150s. Eventually he presented me a broad side 40 yard shot. When I shot he jumped six feet in the air abd trotted off to the other side of the creek. He stopped again and I shot again.h this time there was a slight hunch and he slowly walked off with his tail tucked into some brush.
Im using a 450 Bushmaster and really thought that would drop him in his tracks. An hour later we took up the track. He bled for about 100 yards then nothing. We grid searched the rest of the day and couldnt find any trace of him.
I also hired a tracking dog the next day. The dog got his track but it was obvious he wasnt mortally wounded, crossed the creek, and ran up a steep hill. After reviwing the shot I realized for both shots it was much thicker than it looked. Im guuessing I hit a brach or maybe I just suck. LOL Yes the gun is dead on.
Defeated I pressed on.

December 1st Idaho big game tags went on sale. They set limits on NR tags and Disabled Veterean tags. They sell out quickly but I managed to get a full price NR tag. Elation turned to horror when I realized my ATM card expired the day before.... Bye bye Idaho elk tag..... ugh

Feeling defeated I had pretty much given up. With two kicks to the crotch i was ready to quit and head home. However the next day I was covered in deer and almost got a shot at another biggen (he was running a doe and wouldnt stop). That was enough to get me underway again. Lol

Im headed back tomorrow. Im literally exhausted so Im not sure if Im gonna hunt in the morning. Im gonna try to come out for the late two day season and of course all of ML.

Im still holding out for a big one, but if a 120 class gives me a chance I will most likely take it.

Please pray for me.
🤣