Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hicks Lawn Services truck racing

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Just seen you all at the gas station....good luck
Must've been where we were about 15 min from the track? Three trucks and trailers. My enclosed and an open with one truck and an open trailer with two trucks?

Got rained out. Story of my life and luck. Felt darn good though. Got to finally give the truck a tiny test. Qualified 3 out of 13 trucks. Handling sucked but it was a muddy mess (as I feel most tracks are during hot laps.) Would have liked to have given her a full shake down with heat race and feature. 3/13 on paper sounds good but it could mean 1st or 13th by the end of the feature.

I am feeling immensely satisfied just to put 4 laps of qualifying under my belt. Even if I only got about a lap and a half of loud pedal before a caution flag flew. Once they went green again we didn't know it until the lights switched. Officials never told us we were green again. So the last maybe 3/4 of a lap I let her rip again. She was digging hard for the conditions. I guess it is like the perfect cast or perfect drive in golf: sometimes you just need a few good laps to be satisfied and hungry for more.
PXL_20210807_231013981.jpg
PXL_20210807_214818007.jpg

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Hey hey, that's progress Phil! Sucks the race didn't take place, hoping for a solid result in the next one. Whats the schedule look like for the rest of the year?

Sauger

Warsaw
Yes sir you were just a few away from the tract on 16. I was not for sure until I got home and read the post, but it was you. Bummer it rained out but at least you got some laps in. That track is always muddy until the run the features. At least that's the way it seams.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yes sir you were just a few away from the tract on 16. I was not for sure until I got home and read the post, but it was you. Bummer it rained out but at least you got some laps in. That track is always muddy until the run the features. At least that's the way it seams.
Dang. Should have stopped and introduced yourself. This forum puts a lot of us in contact with a lot of people and places. Never hurts to have another name and face put together. Or. . . .you read enough of my crap and hit the accelerator pedal. 🤣

@5Cent we have a few weekends of non-point races in Deerfield, Ohio. I won't make them. Taking the son on his first dirt bike trip. Daughter moved back to college. Senior year starts for Garrett too. Going to get caught up on work load and focus on getting my second truck ready for the track. ( @Sauger those other trucks you saw aren't owned by me. Just sponsored. I don't have that kind of money or patience. Lol)

Might try to hit see non-point races in Montpelier, IN in September. Need a good truck count so we get invited to the table next season. They are re-opening mid season this year with a new promoter and we would like a regular track closer to home.

Points races Sept 24 at Union County and Sept 25we race Goods Raceway in Deerfield, Ohio. October has the last points race at Muskingum County Speedway. May hit some more non points races at Montpelier after that as well.

So Mr Adam. . . .how close are you to Union County? I'll try to rope you into a Friday night adventure. 😁

Reactions: 5Cent

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Only positive I have going for me right now? Sheet metal looks like it did in the spring. 🤷🏻‍♂️ The other trucks look beat to death after a season of rubbing and banging. I washed the dirt off and kissed my one sponsor's butt on FB. (As I should help promote his business in return for his sponsorship.) Working the promoting of his business is easy because the other sponsors are. . . Well, me. Did finally put the series sponsor stickers on there too. Shout out to Mark Wahlberg Auto too. They sponsor the series along with our main business and Mid American Cleaners.

Debating on painting the rims all white or sticking with the black. I'm not a black rim.fan but these look surprisingly good to me with the red/white/blue. Opinions welcome. Probably won't happen until winter anyway. Completing laps and races are top priority.

PXL_20210808_190259677.jpg

PXL_20210808_184559148.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The 17 truck is just hanging out waiting for the next race to see if she is going to hold together.

Been working on the black truck. Stock bottom end with mild cam and header. Nothing wild. Just another truck one of my buddies is going to race. He has been helping me. We got it fired up for the first time the other night since putting it back together. It isn't right. No oil pressure. Different gauge. Same low oil pressure. 20-25lbs is it. Oil pump works. Bottom end bearings are good. That only leaves a bad cylinder or piston ring in the bottom end. It was honed and put together by a NAPA machine shop in Indiana. I bought it from the guy with the NAPA tags still on it. I don't think that is it. So, it is possible the cam bearings are bad. It is possible the cam itself is bad. It is more likely the cam is missing a plug. Oil flows thru the cam and they are supposed to have a plug in the end. I'm hoping I can pull the valve cover and find it missing a plug. That would be a great finding. Maybe I'll see tomorrow if I have time. Sure would be nice to have both trucks at the Montpelier, IN race this Saturday to give them both a nice shake down.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It's been a bit. The 17 truck needs tires aired up, loaded, topped off with fuel and raced.

The black truck got out back together. Not a real hot setup. When things fall apart, sometimes a fairly stock engine to get the truck on the track is just going to need to work. It is our "backup" and a buddy will race it. If my buddies complain they can spend more money on the motor. 😂

For anyone interested: Friday Sept 24 we are at Wayne County Speedway in Orrville, OH. Saturday Sept 25 we are at Good's Raceway in Deerfield, Ohio. Saturday is always dependent upon thing staying together on Friday. Both trucks Friday for sure. Saturday I am not sure if the black truck will be there. Depends if my second buddy/driver/helper is able to drive 3 hours across the state to race it.

The following weekend we are at Muskingum to race on Saturday. October 2 I think is the date. That is our last points race of the year.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
And that's a wrap on the season.
Black #6 truck broke the flex plate bolts. Can hear flex plate spin with starter but won't turn over motor. Clutch is probably still attached to flex plate but the ARP bolts holding it to the crankshaft are likely broken. Sometimes it happens from a big motor. Not the case here. Likely the sideways bouncing on a rough track. That rotating mass bouncing up and down does it to them on a rough track sometimes. The good news? Put a buddy in there. He has helped me work on the trucks. He was running pretty darn good for a complete rookie. For a stock motor and newbie I was impressed. He hung fairly well until he broke.

The #17 truck continues to frustrate. I drew outside row one in the heat race. Couldn't ask for much better. Going into turn one on lap two the steering wheel came off. Brand new wheel. They are quick release and the mechanism failed which holds it on. I was running good. Full speed going into turn one with a steering wheel not attached? Heading towards the wall? It is a pucker moment. I managed to get it back on and avoid the wall. They threw caution and I went to the tail. On the restart I made half a lap, passed three in that half lap and the clutch or internal transmission let loose. Not sure which one until I tear it apart.

We have two transmissions to pull to make these repairs and it won't happen before the Saturday race. Won't happen before next Saturday either. The wind is out of my sail and I have jobs to knock out. Gotta pay the bills.

This has been the most time, effort, and money I've ever spent to generate such dismal results. Don't take that wrong. I've done dumb stuff. I've wasted money and time. Just can't think of anything I've committed to so fully with such a poor showing on investment. When things come together it is a major rush. When things come apart (and they did plenty this season), it is a stiff kick in the family jewels and your pride. Humbling. This has been a humbling season.

Need to regroup. Need to reassess. Need to decide what the options are for next season. The business side of me says cut your losses. The driven side of me says you aren't a quitter. Figure it out and find your results. When she hooks, she hooks. Motor isn't a problem. I was hanging with the two V6 guys who lapped the field. Some of the trucks they lapped multiple times in a 12 lap feature. Not saying I would have hung the entire race if she held together. Woulda coulda shoulda doesn't matter when you are watching the feature from the stands.

Another silver lining? The sheet metal is still looking brand new. 😁