Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Help please

Okay so I have a 12 ga shotgun (I don’t know much about shotguns) and at times when I fire it will eject from the recoil is that normal? It’s an old revelation. Thanks

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
It is a pump.
Got ya. I had a single shot that did this years ago.

Sounds like you might be pulling the gun into your shoulder with the forehand and the recoil as it's going back forward might be making your hand start to slide the pump action without you realizing it?

Stupid question but have you had anybody else shoot this gun and have it happen to them as well?

Other then that I can only guess a worn action and it's not keeping the action locked anymore.

I'm not an expert so hopefully one of the others can chime in soon.

Reactions: Big_Holla

Chass

The Hills
It's either a super loose action or from when you shoulder it and shoot. That releases the action allowing another round to be cycled and if you pull it into your shoulder with your forward hand, once it unlocks after the shot. Similar to pulling a door open before turning the knob, as soon as the knob is turned, door flies open. Either way, generally this is not an issue and more of a sign you have a well broken in shotgun. Better that its smooth sliding than gritty with rust!

Reactions: giles and "J"

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Like mentioned, loosen your grip (a little) on the for grip and see if that helps. Chas’s pretty much nailed it....

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Revelations are Mossberg 500s made for Western Auto. I’ve never had one apart but it sounds like what ever locks the bolt is probably worn.

Reactions: RedCloud
Okay just shot it made sure grip was all on the back and the pump went right back. Next I Propped it up and shot with out holding the pump at all same thing went back and ejected the shell. Last three I shot holding the pump forward and it was okay.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
After your update I would agree with Sam.

See if this video helps any with your gun since Sam said it's basically a Mossberg 500. Break it down and clean it really good and make sure you get all the powder build up out. Could be crud keeping it from locking properly or worn block or receiver where the slide bars attach.

Hopefully Sam might have a better idea of what part might be worn down then I do.

Reactions: Blake Tijerina