Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hedgelj 2021-2

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
My youngest wanted to go back out Friday night but i was busy. Grandpa got some blind time with the little guy.

20211203_154740.jpg
20211203_154904.jpg
20211203_154917.jpg
IMG_0113.jpg

My dad found it hilarious that he loves to eat blue cheese and brought a teddy 🧸 with him.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Muzzleloader season.

Saturday and Sunday I had family stuff to do and was only able to watch my cut corn field in the evenings and the plan was to sneak out if i spotted anything. Sunday, there was the nice 8 point that beds down behind my shed tempting me but he needs at least another year (hopefully 2).

Monday I went out and was checking the locations they bed down in traditionally in cold weather. I glassed the one little thicket and spotted one. This thicket is about 50 yards wide and 200ish yards long and surrounded by 75-100+ yards of tilled ground. I was just getting into range when my phone went off. My oldest had some braces issues and i had to get him to then to get it taken care of. As i was walking out i noted the one i saw and a friend leaving the woods from the other side...well crap.

Got back to the woods later that day. Was stalking around when i spotted one feeding about 200 yards away in the next woods. I slowly made my way to the edge of the woods i was in and was trying to figure out if i wanted to take a long shot or stalk on it. Then the wind picked up with a few gusts right at my back. That deer snorted and took off up the hill and 6 more bedded down closer to me (that i didn't see or know were there) got up and left the woods away from me without giving me a shot opportunity. I had coaching responsibilities so no evening hunt.

Tuesday I had purposely avoided one side of the farm to give me that opportunity Tuesday. Went to the blind my brother put a feeder near thinking with the cold weather corn could help me. Feeder went off at 0700, doves, bluejays and other birds had a great feast. I had nothing but birds (see a turkeyin thecut corn about 250 yards out) and enjoyed a cigar. Around 1010 I looked up from my phone and a doe and 2 buttons were coming to the feeder. The blinds have windows that fold inward and the doe sensed something and have me the stink eye as i moved to lower one. I held it still while she got nervous then stomped and turned away from me to lead them all away. I dropped the window, put the muzzy out and picked one that made the mistake of stopping about 30 yards away. A 240 gr xtp mag to the CNS drops them in their tracks.

It was a very cold field dressing job, then an even cooler walk to my car to drive to my how to get the kubota side by side to haul him out. Skinned and now hanging for a few days.

I saw 7 more deer while driving to bring the deer out so I was happy about that. I also would have chosen one of the buttons intentionally because that way i get at least one of not twins from the doe next summer.

I now know i need to work on cover and good sources of food to keep them on the farm after crops come down.