Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Heads up to Alum Creek hunters

Johnny44

Went out to my favorite spot on opening day and took my buddy, who has never hunted deer, on his first hunt. Nice morning, but saw ZERO deer. Ironic because I have always seen deer here; albeit sometimes when I was walking out. At around 9 AM, I saw a woman come walking through the woods from what appeared to be her property. I gave her the benefit of the doubt and figured she walked that area and probably had no idea hunting season opened. Told my buddy we might as well pack up and I'd show him some of the area and scout a bit. Ran into another hunter who was getting out of his stand and exchanged pleasantries. He told us the woman came to the base of his stand and wanted to make sure he knew he could only hunt during the day. Interesting. We went along our way and bumped into her on her way out. Exchanged pleasantries and then we found out the reason she was there. Long story short, she mentioned that she has found arrows in her yard, informed me that if I shot a deer and it came on her property I could not retrieve it, was not happy when I mentioned that she walked about 20 yards from us in our ground blind, and didn't seem to believe me when I told her we were well over the 400 ft required to be distanced from a building. I assured her that she would never have any issues with me and that if she didn't believe me, we could call the game warden and I'd be happy to meet with her and him to go over where I was sitting. She said she's not anti-hunting, but that there have been a bunch of idiots out there. I can't disagree that there are idiots out there, but...... Was she harassing us or the other guy? Technically, no but man that area is gray. However, she knew what she was doing. I am posting this to give anyone hunting the area a heads up and should they encounter said woman, 5'7", thick build, white, brown hair pulled back in a pony tail with a hat on, to immediately begin filming her. There is a report filed on her but proof is needed for anything to come of it. I don't go looking for trouble, especially when I am hunting, but I will be damned if my favorite spot gets blown up because of this woman. And maybe everything she is saying is valid; she has kids, arrows in the yard, as a father I can see the concern. But she bought a home that butts up TO PUBLIC LAND THAT ALLOWS HUNTING! And, although my wife disagrees often, I am NOT AN IDIOT! lol. Cheers all. Happy hunting. Be safe and ethical

If you don't mind me asking, whereabouts were you hunting...? Just general area, not asking for coordinates to your honey hole. I hunt Alum but have never had an experience like this, luckily, and would like to avoid it.

Reactions: xbowguy

Johnny44

If you don't mind me asking, whereabouts were you hunting...? Just general area, not asking for coordinates to your honey hole. I hunt Alum but have never had an experience like this, luckily, and would like to avoid it.
I have never had an issue either; to the point I tell people I don't understand why public land has such a bad rap. I've run in to other hunters, non-hunters, people on horses, lol, never a problem. Couldn't believe it. South of 36, Old State area.

Outside

The patch behind Peachblow road is commonly booked up with people. Good spot, but lots of connecting property which has Karen potential.

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Johnny44

CritterGitterToo

Central Ohio
Sounds like the sailboat club area. I gave up on that a long time ago after they let Fleet Feet build that damn jogging trail that zig zagged all through the thickets! It sucks now!!!! Also, I HATE Fleet Feet!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Johnny44

CritterGitterToo

Central Ohio
I have never had an issue either; to the point I tell people I don't understand why public land has such a bad rap. I've run in to other hunters, non-hunters, people on horses, lol, never a problem. Couldn't believe it. South of 36, Old State area.

Also, there is this regulation:

"All Deer Hunting south of State route 36/37 a t Alum Creek State Park is Archery Hunting Only. Hunting in the Archery Hunting Only areas permitted after October 15th only"

Pretty clearly marked on bright orange signs all down through there.

Good luck!

Also, there is this regulation:

"All Deer Hunting south of State route 36/37 a t Alum Creek State Park is Archery Hunting Only. Hunting in the Archery Hunting Only areas permitted after October 15th only"

Pretty clearly marked on bright orange signs all down through there.

Good luck!

That used to be the case, and was noted on the map available on the park website. The new map, effective 3/23/20, no longer contains that language. I haven't hunted south of 36/37 thus far this year, however, upon discovering the change in language I confirmed that the signs closest to me have either been removed of the reference to Oct. 15 covered up.

Johnny44

That used to be the case, and was noted on the map available on the park website. The new map, effective 3/23/20, no longer contains that language. I haven't hunted south of 36/37 thus far this year, however, upon discovering the change in language I confirmed that the signs closest to me have either been removed of the reference to Oct. 15 covered up.

Where did you get the updated map from? Been looking for one for two years.

Outside

Been hunting it since 1 Oct. Haven't seen as many people, perhaps because they haven't discovered the change.

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk