Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

gun season numbers

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
so i had some time at work and decided to check some numbers on gun week, i think were all on the same page that gun hunting is a dieing breed with the long archery season and crossbows and i have no problem with that. i still think we are being led astray by the odnr, the herd is still down in most areas and we know that, but they still try to pump up the harvest numbers in my opinion or at least word it to make people think the numbers are still up. my family still hunts together all gun week like we always have. so there was anywhere from 9 to 12 of us together all week hunting different areas and a few different counties. we didnt see the hunters or hear the shots to get anywhere close to those numbers they have posted. hell there was multiple days that 3 or 4 of us didnt see deer or hear more than 1 or 2 shots. the numbers the odnr posted was 71,651 for 2020, 70,413 for 2021. but instead of showing the decline in the harvest numbers the article says there was an 8 percent increase in harvest over the 3 year average of 65,280. im not sure why they dont just say we are down for the year on gun harvests instead of trying to bullshit people on the numbers. i also have a hard time believing that the youth gun weekend numbers are that high too when it rained all day on sunday.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Just an FYI. The number of licensed hunters in Ohio has dropped about 15% since 2000 while license revenue has increased nearly 40% in the same time period. Less and less of us are paying more and more. The ODNR is great at marketing.

2000 - 422,000 licensed hunters with $15.5M revenue
2020 - 361,000 licensed hunters with $21.5M revenue

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Just an FYI. The number of licensed hunters in Ohio has dropped about 15% since 2000 while license revenue has increased nearly 40% in the same time period. Less and less of us are paying more and more. The ODNR is great at marketing.

2000 - 422,000 licensed hunters with $15.5M revenue
2020 - 361,000 licensed hunters with $21.5M revenue

I've said it for many many years. Tonk himself told us that they intended to drastically reduce the numbers, so much so that lots of people would probably just stop hunting. Not long after that happened a hefty license and tag fee increase happened. Hunters got screwed on both ends of the deal, but insurance companies made out like bandits, and dropping ODNR revenue was a good excuse to raise fees. All the books got balanced on the backs of the hunters.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
so i had some time at work and decided to check some numbers on gun week, i think were all on the same page that gun hunting is a dieing breed with the long archery season and crossbows and i have no problem with that. i still think we are being led astray by the odnr, the herd is still down in most areas and we know that, but they still try to pump up the harvest numbers in my opinion or at least word it to make people think the numbers are still up. my family still hunts together all gun week like we always have. so there was anywhere from 9 to 12 of us together all week hunting different areas and a few different counties. we didnt see the hunters or hear the shots to get anywhere close to those numbers they have posted. hell there was multiple days that 3 or 4 of us didnt see deer or hear more than 1 or 2 shots. the numbers the odnr posted was 71,651 for 2020, 70,413 for 2021. but instead of showing the decline in the harvest numbers the article says there was an 8 percent increase in harvest over the 3 year average of 65,280. im not sure why they dont just say we are down for the year on gun harvests instead of trying to bullshit people on the numbers. i also have a hard time believing that the youth gun weekend numbers are that high too when it rained all day on sunday.

Maybe it was a bad acorn crop that caused the decline, or a great acorn crop, or crappy weather, or hunters failing to adapt, or less squirrels hit on the road, or any other excuse they've used.

bigten05: "i still think we are being led astray by the odnr, the herd is still down in most areas and we know that, but they still try to pump up the harvest numbers in my opinion or at least word it to make people think the numbers are still up."
The ODNR has been up to no good with reporting numbers for many years. :rolleyes:
Back when a hunting tag was on your back, there were deer check stations and you had to apply for doe tags.... They were lying about harvest numbers. My best friend and I used to hunt near Cambridge, Oh. with his cousin. His cousin (Jimmy) and his brother decided they were going to stop at the only 3 deer check stations in Guernsey County, at the end of each day to get an accurate count of checked deer. So, that's what they did and the numbers for Guernsey County weren't anywhere near as high as they reported. :unsure:
On the forth day, Thursday, a GW stopped at Jimmy's house and asked if he'd been inquiring as to the numbers of checked deer at the end of each day. He said, "Yes, I have." The GW said you are officially being asked to stop inquiring. This is the job of the ODNR, not for the public. Jimmy told him that he can ask, but it won't stop me, because it's public knowledge. The GW left and never said another word.

Getting rid of the deer check stations was only the beginning of "false numbers". :mad:
Bowhunter57

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I've said it for many many years. Tonk himself told us that they intended to drastically reduce the numbers, so much so that lots of people would probably just stop hunting. Not long after that happened a hefty license and tag fee increase happened. Hunters got screwed on both ends of the deal, but insurance companies made out like bandits, and dropping ODNR revenue was a good excuse to raise fees. All the books got balanced on the backs of the hunters.
One of the most enlightening camp fire discussions I've ever heard.

Reactions: Mike and bigten05

Chancegriffis

Salesville ohio
bigten05: "i still think we are being led astray by the odnr, the herd is still down in most areas and we know that, but they still try to pump up the harvest numbers in my opinion or at least word it to make people think the numbers are still up."
The ODNR has been up to no good with reporting numbers for many years. :rolleyes:
Back when a hunting tag was on your back, there were deer check stations and you had to apply for doe tags.... They were lying about harvest numbers. My best friend and I used to hunt near Cambridge, Oh. with his cousin. His cousin (Jimmy) and his brother decided they were going to stop at the only 3 deer check stations in Guernsey County, at the end of each day to get an accurate count of checked deer. So, that's what they did and the numbers for Guernsey County weren't anywhere near as high as they reported. :unsure:
On the forth day, Thursday, a GW stopped at Jimmy's house and asked if he'd been inquiring as to the numbers of checked deer at the end of each day. He said, "Yes, I have." The GW said you are officially being asked to stop inquiring. This is the job of the ODNR, not for the public. Jimmy told him that he can ask, but it won't stop me, because it's public knowledge. The GW left and never said another word.

Getting rid of the deer check stations was only the beginning of "false numbers". :mad:
Bowhunter57
How can he check deer in guernsey if deer don’t exist in this county…? Lol

• Haha
Reactions: Bowhunter57

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County

Bowhunter57
Wow just wow! The damn government officials forgot long ago just who in the hell they are supposed to be working for.

Reactions: Bowhunter57

Bowkills

Nw oh
Ill be damned fauci is copy/paste odnr deer harvest numbers and changing a few words around! F me deer are involved with covid!

I saw an article today that brokedown gun week harvest by weapon.
Handgun less than 1%
I hunted with a handgun in 2013 and loved it. 😎 The hands free for binoculars and keeping them warm was awesome! The only limitation was range. Inside whatever yardage, that you are proficient with shooting the handgun of your choice...which usually means you're going to be in a wooded area.
I'd love to purchase a Glock model 40, in 10mm and give it another spin.

My Ruger American in 450 Bushmaster has ruined me for going back to handguns. :rolleyes: Nothing like unlimited range with excellent killing power.

Bowhunter57

Attachments

• B3.jpg
    B3.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 174
Reactions: Sgt Fury

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Many, many years ago (preTOO) someone we all know posted “Not every gun hunter is a slob hunter but every slob hunter hunts with a gun.“ I countered with I knew a few shady characters the only hunted archery because of felony convictions. 🙄

Now if you would have said crossbow instead of gun I probably would have assumed I said it back then. 😅