Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Guesses on who?

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
It was me. Hunted hard the last 3 days. Didn't see any shooters until I got to my truck this morning after hunting until 11 am. Went to pull out to head home and looked across the road in a picked cornfield and saw a large bodied deer standing out there in the stubble. Glassed him with the binos and could see it was a mature looking deer. I figured what the heck...make a stalk on him once he lays down. Nothing to lose either way. He layed down and I made a reference where abouts he was. Long story short I did about a half mile stalk on him into the wind in some tall weedy cornstalks and got to within 40 yards of him and come to find out he was bedded with a doe. Only problem was they were bedded down and I could only see their heads. So I tried everything I could think of to get them to stand up. First was blowing my grunt call as loud as it would go. That didn't even get their attention. Next I tried throwing corn ears at them...lol...I could only get it halfway there. That didn't work. Next I started making loud noises ranging from my best doe and buck imitations to coyote howls and dog barks. Lmao. This is mid day. All they would do is look my way. They wouldn't stand up. So finally I decided that they would probably need to see me to get them to stand. So I raised up on my knees high enough until the doe saw me. She didn't know what I was and I was downwind. After moving back and forth a couple times she finally stood up. Soon after he stood also and squared off at me. He must have thought I was another buck..idk. it was too late for him as I had the 1187 on him and squeezed the trigger. He didn't go 20 and went ass over applecart! He dressed out at 204lbs. Huge deer. Has a busted main beam on his one side and 5 nice points on the other.
20201202_141252.jpg
20201202_150631.jpg