Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Groundhog hunting

Was wanting to pick everyones brain a little hunted everything else but these critters ha. We have killed 6 ground hogs on my in-laws property and they still have a problem with their garden and still spot them in random parts of the day. I walk out periodically whenever I’m there but I usually only see them when I’m not trying! Then run inside real quick, grab the 10-22 and get them. I learned fast that even shot in the head these things are tough! The first one I Shot was in the head, rolled him and he still ran off! Thinking I missed or that he would crawl off somewhere and died I shrugged it off. I then shot one two days later thinking it was a different one but it was the same one with a hole next to his ear, I’m guessing it must’ve ricocheted! so when I shoot now I lay into them with the 22. Being semi to make sure I get them. Anyways is there a time of day to hunt them? I try for late evening when it’s been so hot, and I have looked everywhere and found only one burrow that I think is vacant now. How do you guys get them?

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Targets of opportunity. If your going to hunt them to hunt them then bring a lot of snacks, patience, and time. They can be killed all times of the day. In this heat I would say 7-9am and again the same times PM would be prime times but they can be out and about just about anytime of the day.

Reactions: CJD3 and Sgt Fury

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Personally, I prefer the .243 with hornady ballistic tips. It cuts them in half and they don’t move afterwards 😂😂😂
I have a few season of threads for killing them. Look up WTF’s up Chuck 😂😂😂

Reactions: Shotgunnwilly