Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Grape Kool-aid for deer

I have read in a few threads on this sight about people putting grape kool-aid out for the deer. Whats everyones opinions and experience with this? I been making my own mineral mix so i was thinking about adding some kool-aid to it if it is working out for everyone else.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I don't ever remember if I saw a thread with grape kool-aid, but there's probably a lot of threads that I haven't seen.

Never tried it. I will say this though, back in the day when the wife and I first got married and didn't have much money, kool-aid was a staple in our house. I learned that if I drank enough grape kool-aid that my shit would turn as green as the grass. Lol

OO2

In the Uplands
Myself and a few members use it. When I put it out it got consistently more activity than an existing sight that didn't have the grape kool-aid. Unfortunately it was washed away in the flood we had a few weeks ago.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I started using it this year mixed with stock salt and or trace mineral salt from tsc, along with a 50 pound brown tsc trace mineral block. I've been getting just as many pics on this formula as I did when I used trophy rock and lucky buck. With trophy rocks costing around $17 a piece and a bucket of lucky buck about the same it was costing quite a bit of money to keep 4-5 mineral sites running all summer. Brown tsc block is $6, stock salt is $6. I can do 2-3 sites on one 50 pound bag of salt.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Chad and i are both doing same thing..
Had a buddy that has been using the grape a long time..
The aroma really draws em in,hell ya can smell it way downwind. Lol
I will use the salt blocks and the mineral blocks plus they are 50 pounds so last a long time.
I also use the trace mineral salt and mix the grape in with it,so far the deer really like it.
I do this for pictures, after seeing studies done on mineral, some bucks may only use it a handful of times over the Summer so dont really think it's gonna make that much difference on antler growth.
I start em at the end of February and work about 25 pds in the ground real well and add a block..
I just freshen it up with the mix about once every 4 to 6 weeks.
And like Chad said u sure save alot of money and seem to get the same amount of pictures and it lasts longer than the rocks.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Deer are after the salt. So no matter what it is, as long as the salt content is there, their gonna come regular. Now if you want to maximize the mineral intake, vitamins A, D and E will help the absorption. We were told that for over the counter, DuMore Trace Minerals is what we wanted. (Sold at TSC) It shows the A, D and E Vitamins right on the tag. And that Grape or Apple Kool-aid would improve the smell.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Deer also like peanut butter. Spread some on a tree in front of cams. I have even dumped stale potato chips, pretzels and tortilla chips...they will eat it all.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Those TSC blocks are just to heavy for me to handle, wish they were 25 pounds.

Pick up a junk hand saw at a garage sale. Saw a slot around the block on all 4 sides and pound a wood wedge into the slot and it should break up. Seen it posted somewhere.