Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Full Camo?

djohn9713

Do you go full camo with what you wear in the stand? I've noticed some of the guys in The Hunting Public videos aren't always wearing camo. At the same time, some of their guys are going camo everything and then also putting on face paint. I've always done camo head to toe, but am wondering if I don't need to for my tree stand hunting.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
It's all relative. Really it depends on tb setup. If you're high above their line of sight and you have good cover in the tree then camp is not required as much. Now if you're lower to the ground or don't have the cover then you'll have to rely more on camp to breakup your outline. For me since i use the smoker and deer often look for the smoke smell i prefer to wear full camo in the event that they look up.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Really it’s best to not wear clothing with uv brightners. Deer sees it like we see hunters orange. 99% of hunting clothes don’t have it. Also deer can see colors in blue and grey I believe.

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
I wear coveralls for all my hunting. Even ground blinds. So yea I'm pretty much covered in mossy oak from head to toe.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Deer key in on movement. Camo isn’t necessary but could help...a white hand moving at the wrong time is easier to spot than one with a camo glove. As stated, good background cover to break up your outline and washing clothes with detergent that doesn’t have UV brighteners are good suggestions.

Reactions: Tipmoose

djohn9713

Really it’s best to not wear clothing with uv brightners. Deer sees it like we see hunters orange. 99% of hunting clothes don’t have it. Also deer can see colors in blue and grey I believe.

I've heard that blue glows for deer. Something about the rods in the deer's eyes. So, guess blue plaid is out for the casual hunt;-)

OO2

In the Uplands
Pick a good thick tree with good background cover and be still. Good Camo will help hide you.

Movement and a telephone pole tree will kill ya

Jamie

Ohio
I wear full camo all the time when I'm hunting with my bow. two reasons; good camo does help disguise some movement. When you have to draw your bow at the exact moment you intend to shoot a deer 30 feet away, this matters quite a lot whether on the ground on in a tree stand unless you are up 30 feet or more. Second, I'm not just hiding from deer. I'm hiding from people, too.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
79C349B6-1B58-452D-9BFE-BA9F0E908918.jpeg