Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

FS 2013-2014 Hunting Journal

Got a bit of disappointing news yesterday as I was headed out the door for work. Karissa told me that her volleyball coach wants all the girls to go to the football game Friday night so they can be honored by having their names announced over the PA for their achievement of being co-champions this fall. That's cool and all but we were going hunting!!! Dang....I was really looking forward to it!
Oh well, she said she'll go Saturday morning and the afternoon! YIPPIE First I'll have to get her out of bed! Lol

I feel your pain! My daughter is in travel softball and there always seems like something that springs up to screw up plans. Our latest plan was to be in Ohio for Thanksgiving and the weekend....now she has a friggin tourney the day after Thanksgiving! Enjoy that time when you get her out and take plenty of pics!!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I got Karissa out some after school to give her a lesson on taking quartering away shots. She did great! I set up a LW and she has settled on what shooting position she's most comfortable and accurate with.

After shooting a few bolts and drilling the kill pretty good I had her shoot her last bolt as fast and accurate as she could so she might be more ready if a shooter slips in on us or comes busting in on our set all of a sudden. She nearly robinhooded another double lung shot at 28 yards in just 6.4 seconds. Dang I'm proud!

I brought her up to the target showing her where her point of impact was and the line of travel the bolt takes thru the chest cavity.

Her near Robin Hood.

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
We can't hunt tonight as we have other obligations but she said I want to get to bed tonight fairly early so I can get up and go hunting! I'm friggin jacked!
We're heading to the new set I put up this week for the morning hunt then going to the crick bottom set in the afternoon. The morning set is where I killed my buck last year on Halloween.

Good luck to everyone this weekend!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thanks guys!

Karissa and I hunted this morning for 3 hours and saw a doe and two little ones. The small ones did a lot of running in large circles in the creek bottom. First saw the doe and one little one at 7:55am and they came on through by us at 8:20.

The lone small one showed up at 9:30 and just ran out of sight. We climbed down at 10:30.

We hunted our other set this evening about 250 yards away for 2 hours from 5-7 pm. Just saw one of the small little ones across the field near where we were this morning. We spooked a large bodied deer just as our feet hit the ground this evening.

I'll update my log stats later.

L

woodyw333

Cincinnati Oh
Thats awesome buddy.. only thing I would have done different than what you did as far as her practice, is I would have put the harness on her so she knows how it will feel and where the strap would be while in that position.. Just a thought... great group though! Good Job!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thats awesome buddy.. only thing I would have done different than what you did as far as her practice, is I would have put the harness on her so she knows how it will feel and where the strap would be while in that position.. Just a thought... great group though! Good Job!

Good point Chris and thanks! Everytime we've hunted we've adjusted her harness tree strap to where she can make this shot. She has been a real trooper while hunting. Not once has she asked for her iPhone, she has held the xbow the whole time(except maybe a half hour this past Saturday morning),she hasn't asked when is it time to leave or complained about anything. Friday afternoon when she gets he from school will be our next hunt together.

Good luck to everyone hunting this week!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thanks guys!

Karissa and I hunted this morning for 3 hours and saw a doe and two little ones. The small ones did a lot of running in large circles in the creek bottom. First saw the doe and one little one at 7:55am and they came on through by us at 8:20.

The lone small one showed up at 9:30 and just ran out of sight. We climbed down at 10:30.

We hunted our other set this evening about 250 yards away for 2 hours from 5-7 pm. Just saw one of the small little ones across the field near where we were this morning. We spooked a large bodied deer just as our feet hit the ground this evening.

I'll update my log stats later.

Hours hunted - 25.25
Deer seen -11
Bucks seen - 2
Does seen -4
bb/ yearlings seen - 6
Yotes seen - 1
Turkeys seen - 10+
Shot ops - 6
Shots taken - 1

All caught up in my updates. Edited above...

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
You're creating a monster! I love it!!! So glad she enjoys going out with dad ;)

Yes I have!:pickle: Thanks TOO you and the rest of the TOOzers out there hunting I relay what y'all are doing in the field and it keeps her pumped up and ready to get back after em. TOO bad we are limited to just Friday evenings and Saturdays due to our work and school schedules but thats the way it goes.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
This makes me smile to read. Great stuff Ric! Garrett shot the crossbow last night for the first time this year. Softball sized group a bit left. We can fix that in a scope adjustment. I look forward to him joining me much like Karissa has been out with you.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
This makes me smile to read. Great stuff Ric! Garrett shot the crossbow last night for the first time this year. Softball sized group a bit left. We can fix that in a scope adjustment. I look forward to him joining me much like Karissa has been out with you.

Thats awesome Phil! Good luck to you both when you get out! It is awesome hunting with your child!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I wish I had something to report. Just updating my/our stats. We hunted for 2.25 hours on Friday Nov. the 8th and got skunked....again! Talked to another hunter who hunts the prop at our truck on our way out. He wanted to see if we did any good or saw anything. He has buddies up from Florida who are also hunting and one of them shot a nice 140" class 8 point that evening around 5:30. He said the deer numbers are very low in our area as he has been scouting a lot the past few weeks trying to find deer for his buddies to hunt. He said the rubs,scrapes and scat are nearly nonexistent. Pretty much sums up with my observations as well.
Karissa wasn't feeling like hunting this afternoon and I didn't and will not push her too so I just got a bunch of work done around the house freeing me up for our later hunts. She said she wants to hunt tomorrow after school....we shall see.

Hours hunted - 27.50
Deer seen -11
Bucks seen - 2
Does seen -4
bb/ yearlings seen - 6
Yotes seen - 1
Turkeys seen - 10+
Shot ops - 6
Shots taken - 1

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Fridays hunt on Nov.15th with Karissa

Hours hunted - 29.50
Deer seen -13
Bucks seen - 3
Does seen -4
bb/ yearlings seen - 8
Yotes seen - 1
Turkeys seen - 11+
Shot ops - 7
Shots taken - 1
Shots taken by Karissa - 1

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Saturdays hunt with Karissa, Nov.16th from 10am till 5:30(dark)

Karissa and I climbed up into our set at about 3:35 and settled in and went over everything like we always do. Didn't see squat but squirrels till I looked down to the east and saw two Whitetails(small) running along the far end of a grownup untilled crop field about 175 yards away. They ran toward the other end of the finger we were setup on. A few minutes later I see some goofball riding a quad in hunter orange along the far edge of the other bigger beanfield still mostly standing that sets on the otherside of the finger. He was headed right straight towards where I saw the deer running. What kinda of nimrod does this right at prime time(4:45-5:15)?!?!?
Anyway I told Karissa to get ready in case he kicks something up. A few minutes later I see a deer moving toward us getting ready to cut in the finger and by our set. I told her get ready!

Seconds later I see a decent racked buck making his way steadily to our north heading to a shooting lane we had so I turned on my camera and whispered for her to turn towards the shooting lane as I was about to stop him at 27-28 yards quartering away. I didn't have much time to do any glassing and size him up and just wanted to get her a shot opportunity.

I heard her click off the safety and when he was in the shorting lane I let out a uuurp! He stopped on a dime offering a great shot quartered away. I zoomed in and she shot. We both neither one could tell if she hit him so we just whispered back and forth to each other on the awesome experience. Ole num nuts showed up 30 yards away bum fugging around at 30 yards from us and backed his quad up and drove back the way he had come. Then he came back along the top edge of the finger at 35 yards again clueless of our presence. Once he left we shimmied down and went to look for her bolt or any blood. In short order I found it and it was a clean miss. We couldn't wait to get home and view it on the PC. After watching it with the family the bolt struck the ground just missing his brisket but perfect height. What an awesome experience though we shared! We're both happy that she missed as the buck had a busted off g3 on his far side(right) and he could use a few more years. Mainly though, she'd be tagged out and our hunting adventures this year would be over. She said she wants a chance at something better and is willing to eat her tag if that's what it might take which is fine by me!
On our way home and the rest of the night she couldn't stop thinking about deer hunting! I friggin LOVE THAT! Our next hunt was planned for the next day(Saturday) and it had a very close call TOO!
I'll update that hunt a little later.

Hours hunted - 36.50
Deer seen -13
Bucks seen - 6
Does seen -7
bb/ yearlings seen - 12
Yotes seen - 1
Turkeys seen - 11+
Shot ops - 7
Shots taken - 1
Shots taken by Karissa - 1

Last edited: