Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Food Plot 2020

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
I wanted a bigger food plot in hopes of pulling some of the local bucks over to my place.

Back in April I started clearing thickets, brush, dead falls, rocks, trash, and all kinds of other crap that hqd been hidden for years.

I have one more small section to burn and clear. I was gonna do it next season but we have no rain forecasted anytime soon so Im just gonna go for it. The end result is going to be a 1/2 acre plot.

Being a cheap bastard I made my own culitvator, plow, empliment thing. I used reclaimed wood, lag bolts, and two 25lb weights. I added a rake that makes clean rows. I can add weight to it if I want to make them deeper. In years past I used a thatcher which took forever to tear up the ground. My DIY emplement does it 100 times faster and better.

Ive been waiting for forecasted rain before I plant. Last year I used a sprinkler. It worked great but the newplot size makes it unpracticable.

Im planing austrian winter peas. winter greens, and winter rye.

Reactions: Spencie

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
20200821_122958.jpg
20200821_122909.jpg
20200821_122931.jpg

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
I planted austrian winter eas, winter greens, and winter rye. The rye is really taking off. I should have planted the rye at the end of September. I will probably choke out the peas and greens.

Im in Ohio this weekend. Tuesday or Thursday I will put out some fertilizer.