Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Fluteman's Journey of Excellence, or Lack Thereof

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
And since this is a hunting journal, I figured I would share this short video from spring turkey season. A little background: I got into turkey hunting a few years ago when I was trying to find something else to fill the void between bow seasons. I've been fortunate enough to harvest a few birds, and I shared my excitement with Dad. He's never been, so I told him this spring I'd be out and we'd go chase some birds. I had him put in some recon, listening in the mornings for birds, and keeping track of where he heard them. One morning after work, I made my way out there. The birds were already off the roost, so we went out looking, and found two toms strutting their stuff 600y across a hayfield. We sat up shop, with a full strut tom decoy, and a feeding hen and did some calling.

I'm the first to admit I'm a terrible turkey caller, and still learning, but I'll be damned if those birds didn't turn and start working our way. It took over an hour for it all to transpire, but being able to watch it all unfold made it easy to sit there and wait. We had a little help from a noisy hen that helped bring the birds in to 150y. Once the decoys got their attention, it was game over. The video begins about the time they saw the decoys. We could've had a double had I chose not to film it, but I'm glad I did. That's an experience I will never forget, a memory I'm glad we made! Dad introduced me to deer hunting when I was five, and it was great "return the favor" and introduce him to turkey hunting at the ripe old age of 59.

P.S. Don't mind me dropping the camera, I ran out in the field to try and get a pot shot at the second bird. I was so pumped, I'm not sure I even aimed!

[video=youtube;x6bSAaSQE6o]https://youtu.be/x6bSAaSQE6o[/video]

That's a great video Greg, and my favorite part was you telling him he just killed his first bird and his reply was priceless,,,,"No Shit"!!!!!!!!!
Good stuff and good luck this season Greg.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
That's a great video Greg, and my favorite part was you telling him he just killed his first bird and his reply was priceless,,,,"No Shit"!!!!!!!!!
Good stuff and good luck this season Greg.

He didn't know what to say Aaron. That's the first time in my life my dad has been at a loss for words. Watching his reaction looking at the bird after the kill, I finally knew how he felt that day I stood over my first deer kill. Here's that video

[video=youtube;rAhuGj1XGrs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAhuGj1XGrs[/video]

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Greg, if the wind is outta of the N tonight like they predict you need to do everything in your power to make it happen tonight! Your strategy is a well thought out plan and looks very promising! Hope you can get out tonight cuz you won't have an opportunity like this where a deers pattern and wind direction both work to your favor like this!

Good luck buddy!

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Greg, if the wind is outta of the N tonight like they predict you need to do everything in your power to make it happen tonight! Your strategy is a well thought out plan and looks very promising! Hope you can get out tonight cuz you won't have an opportunity like this where a deers pattern and wind direction both work to your favor like this!

Good luck buddy!
^^^^^^^^^dildo..... I mean ditto! Lmao

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Well, everything went according to plan, sort of. I got home at 2:45 and went out and hung a stand. Slipped out and shot my bow until five, got it dialed in, and jumped back in the shower. I was in the stand by 5:30. Around 6:30 I had a dozen turkey and a lone fawn come by to my east. The fawn milled around eating acorns, and bedded down at seven steps on the trail I walked in on. At 6:50 a doe came into the field from my west, and another to the northwest. They both fed through at under 10y. I held out for the big guy, but the neighbor dogs got to carrying on and the deer went on high alert. That lasted for almost 15 minutes. Anyway, the big guy didn't show, and I was able to get down and slip across the finger with two does inside 30y from my stand. Successful hunt and fun. Could've shot three deer today.