Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Flathead thoughts......

Bowkills

Nw oh
Caught my first one last night. I dicked up (I'm guessing) and didn't bleed it but it will get eaten never the less.....like them? Hate them? Best way you like eating them? If I enjoy I will be targeting them. Shitload of meat on them that's for sure. Anyone besides the southern guy go after them?

Reactions: Mike

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I like them better than walleye. And I fill my freezer clear the hell up every year on walleye. I usually get a few every year on Indian Lake. There's a shitload of meat on them too. I do bleed them out but no big deal. I have several buddies and nephews that thought out was full of shit when I told them how good tbey were. Every single one of them are in agreement now.
20200607_103949(0).jpg
here's one Greyson got a couple months back

Bowkills

Nw oh
I like them better than walleye. And I fill my freezer clear the hell up every year on walleye. I usually get a few every year on Indian Lake. There's a shitload of meat on them too. I do bleed them out but no big deal. I have several buddies and nephews that thought out was full of shit when I told them how good tbey were. Every single one of them are in agreement now.
View attachment 106604here's one Greyson got a couple months back
That was the identical scene from Indian last night but a bit smaller fish. I just poached a cube with nothing on it to taste it. I'm down. I'll fry tomorrow night the real taste testers will be the kiddos....

Reactions: giles

Bowkills

Nw oh
I fish for them by trolling deep diving crankbaits.
Always heard they enjoyed live baits best. I read an article last night saying smaller flats will forage for anything much like a channel cat. Any experience in on this?

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Most get caught around here using live perch. There is a reason they have the mouth that they do. You can catch them on dead bait but live bait is the ticket. I’ve never heard anyone catching on crankbaits. I guess it could happen but if you want the best chance go w live perch. I’m not talking about little perch either. Go 4” and up.

Last edited: