Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

First of its kind, maybe?

Creamer

Athens
Probably not, but I haven't seen one before. For a while, I have been wanting to make a wood version of the Primos Can call. Let me be 1000% clear on this point: in no way was this "project" worth the time and effort it took to make it happen. Not when you get the exact same performance from a $9 Can from Walmart that is made of plastic. Just to be sure you understand what a time and energy suck this was....

I started by taking a functional Can and cutting it apart. You learn a lot about how things work by destroying them. Essentially, it's a stiff cardboard circle with a hole in the center, a bellows-type chamber, with a heavy weight attached. That weight has a hole in the center with the reed. Cover the hole, tip the call, the weight forces air over the reed, it bleats.

Most of the wood I use is smaller diameter. All I had big enough was a chunk of osage.

The longest part of the process is drilling the 1 3/4" hole in the osage blank. I also found out I needed to recess the bottom slightly to allow the cardboard circle to seat into the barrel.

I used a slice of cherry, with a small tenon on them for secure fits, on each end. I mounted to the lathe between centers.

Squared it up.

Turned the shape, sanded, added a couple of burn rings.

I used the end of the destroyed Can as a template for the holes.

A simple jig on the drill press got the holes pretty uniform.

Test fit everything.

I used a little black walnut oil on the cherry to darken the caps for contrast. I glued the top cap on the barrel and sprayed my usual shellac/lacquer finish combo that works for me. The bottom cap had to be finished on it's own, then insert the guts and glue the bottom cap in place. The most important part was getting a good seal around the hole. I used Goop around the hole for a good seal so the call would operate.

So, half a days work later, I now have the same call you can pull off the shelf at Dick's for $10. But at least I can say "I did it." 🤷‍♂️ :cool:

Last edited:

Creamer

Athens
I have a Lil Can coming Friday. Several years ago, I used that call a ton to get does into range. Off the top of my head, I think I called in and killed at least 5 or 6 does with the Lil Can. I'll do that one in wood, also, and be done. I'm hoping the smaller diameter of the Lil Can guts will let me use some of the 2x2 blocks of cherry I have left. They weren't quite big enough for the regular Can.