Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Finelyshedded 2014-2015 Hunting Journal

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thanks everyone.

Hunted for 4 hours yesterday morning in the light rain and got skunked. Sat from 7:30-11:30 covering a pinch on a hardwood flat with a 50 acre standing beanfield off to my east with bedding areas on both sides I could watch and saw nothing. Didn't jump anything on my 1/2 mile walk in either.

I did take a pic of my very first buck rub I saw on my way out and it was very close to where I shot my buck last year. It's nice to know the bucks still use that trail. I just need to be in this stand when a shooter comes through.

Good luck and be safe out there!

Bucks seen 0
Does seen 6
Bb seen 0
Turkeys seen 12+
Yotes seen 0

Hours on stand 13
Hunting trips 5

Shots at deer offered 5
Shots taken 0

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Hunted last night from 4:30-7 adding 2.5 more hours to my hour total. Got skunked over the acorns again.

Bucks seen 0
Does seen 6
Bb seen 0
Turkeys seen 12+
Yotes seen 0

Hours on stand 15.5
Hunting trips 6

Shots at deer offered 5
Shots taken 0

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
We've sat an oak flat twice, been skunked both times. I really think it's a crap shoot with so many acorns on the ground in that area.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
We've sat an oak flat twice, been skunked both times. I really think it's a crap shoot with so many acorns on the ground in that area.

I keep telling myself that the a or a they're eating on now will soon disappear and they'll come to the oak flats I'm hunting eventually but I guess it just ain't happened yet...lol

Jesse, Lmao.....Milo, you nailed it....brown deception pants with 3D shirt and FG cap! Lol....smoked of course;-)

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Another update as I fell behind again,lol. I guess when things are extremely slow I just don't have much to say, haha.

I hunted last night for 1.5 hours and got skunked out of my first sit in the stand I killed my Halloween buck in 2012. Then I hunted for 4 hours out of the stand I killed Character out of last year this morning with a perfect WNW wind and overcast conditions and got skunked again. The wind was brisk and I could have used another layer but still was sitting pretty good but just no deer moving around. I have a large 50 standing beanfield to the east that produced no sightings either this morning. After climbing down I mocked two scrapes on ground where scrapes have never been before with a fresh camera set on video over both of them. I used JVS Wallhanger gel on the limbs and their scrape gel on the pad along with a little Code Red. I also swapped a card and put new batts in my crick crossing camera. Had a couple nice up and coming 2.5 year old bucks cross the crick this past week.
I hunted this evening over a oak flat again for 2 hours and got skunked....AGAIN! Lol I did have a pair of Great Horned owls land near by and survey the flat a spell. Pretty awesome watching them work together.
Before climbing up this evenings stand I mocked my 3rd scrape with same scents as the other two with another fresh cam set on video over it as well. I hope these three scrapes bring in some mature bucks soon. I'll let y'all know if it happens.

Bucks seen 0
Does seen 6
Bb seen 0
Turkeys seen 12+
Yotes seen 0
Owls seen 2

Hours on stand 23
Hunting trips 9

Shots at deer offered 5
Shots taken 0

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Sure doesn't help your cause that you have a bunch of dipshits bumblefuggin' around the woods you are trying to kill deer in.

That could very well be my biggest problem Jesse. I've noticed the last two years the cams taking a huge shit as far as catching much movement but this clown also really started his antics last year and this year TOO! The two years before I had a lot more action that's for sure!
What's funny but not funny is even though a few locals had permission to hunt this 70 acres long before me they really gave up on it cuz of the way it lays its very difficult to hunt cuz it's mostly fields separated by fingers and a long winding crick bottom running on the east side and a dead end road on the west side. Since my success over the last three years these yeahoos have came back out of the wood work and are fuggin things up.

It comes with the territory I guess as to hunting property with others and why owning your own land is soooo much better! Oh well!

I need to update with another hunt or two....skunked again.haha

Thanks for the encouragement fellers and you are right, it will definitely get better very soon.

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I hunted the stand I mocked a scrape near in the morning for 2.5 hours and got skunked but saw a nice tall 2.5 year ole buck visited it during the evening as well as two does so that's good news. Then I hunted it again another 1.5 hours yesterday evening and got el skunko'd again.
Hope these 3 scrapes draws the attention of a shooter soon. I never seen this scrape visitor before so hopefully that's a sign that non residents are expanding their ranges a little.

Bucks seen 0
Does seen 6
Bb seen 0
Turkeys seen 12+
Yotes seen 0
Owls seen 2

Hours on stand 27
Hunting trips 11

Shots at deer offered 5
Shots taken 0

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Hunted the night before last night(Thursday night, when John R killed his target buck) for 2 hours. It's was clear,cool and leaves crunching noisy and got skunked again. Didn't bump anything on my way in or way out either. Hoping it picks up soon...

Bucks seen 0
Does seen 6
Bb seen 0
Turkeys seen 12+
Yotes seen 0
Owls seen 2

Hours on stand 29
Hunting trips 12

Shots at deer offered 5
Shots taken 0

Getting skunked 9 times in a row sucks but makes it real easy to update my stats! Rotflmao