Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Finelyshedded 2014-2015 Hunting Journal

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thanks fellers!

NEWS FLASH NEWS FLASH NEWS FLASH....THIS JUST IN!!!

Me didn't get skunked last night!!!! WHOOHOO!!!

Hunted 2 hours from 5-7 out of the Bonehead encounter stand of 2011 overlooking the small oak flat to where I also miked a scrape. Saw a little 3x1 browsing around the acorns and corn from about 620-640. He came within 45 yards and had he been a shooter I had no shot opportunities. I swapped my card overlooking my mocked scrape and found him and 3 other bucks checking it out, 2 of which were nice up and coming 2.5-3.5 year olds that I had on cam back in velvet.

I would post up pics but PB and me ain't getting along so I might try tapatalk later. That is the only reason Ron and I haven't posted much this year! Ever since I updated PB its kicked me in the dick!

I won't be hunting till Monday night.

Bucks seen 1
Does seen 6
Bb seen 0
Turkeys seen 12+
Yotes seen 0
Owls seen 2

Hours on stand 40.25
Hunting trips 16

Shots at deer offered 5
Shots taken 0

Last edited:

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Good job. PB is the pits at times as it only works 1 out of 3 tries for me too.

ohio
Thanks fellers!

NEWS FLASH NEWS FLASH NEWS FLASH....THIS JUST IN!!!

Me didn't get skunked last night!!!! WHOOHOO!!!

Hunted 2 hours from 5-7 out of the Bonehead encounter stand of 2011 overlooking the small oak flat to where I also miked a scrape. Saw a little 3x1 browsing around the acorns and corn from about 620-640. He came within 45 yards and had he been a shooter I had no shot opportunities. I swapped my card overlooking my mocked scrape and found him and 3 other bucks checking it out, 2 of which were nice up and coming 2.5-3.5 year olds that I had on cam back in velvet.

I would post up pics but PB and me ain't getting along so I might try tapatalk later. That is the only reason Ron and I haven't posted much this year! Ever since I updated PB its kicked me in the dick!

I won't be hunting till Monday night.

Bucks seen 1
Does seen 6
Bb seen 0
Turkeys seen 12+
Yotes seen 0
Owls seen 2

Hours on stand 40.25
Hunting trips 16

Shots at deer offered 5
Shots taken 0
Told ya spraying cover scent in your depends would work! Lol congrats man

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
LMAO Denis! thanks for the tip!!! haha

Well I'm on a roll! Rushed home from work and showered then dressed and was in my stand around 4 yesterday early evening and hunted till about 5:50. I was set up at the base of a finger that juts out between two standing cornfields from a wide creek bottom that also has a small standing cornfield on it. It's the same stand I killed my Halloween buck back in 2012 and its the third time I've hunted it this year so far.
Anywho, Had a slam dunk of a 15 yard quartered away and head down shot at a 110-115" 8 tonight. That's all! It was at 4:30 he was cruising thru. Even though it was my one and only sighting it was nice seeing some horns!
I plan on hunting again tonight but haven't decided where yet!

Bucks seen 2
Does seen 6
Bb seen 0
Turkeys seen 12+
Yotes seen 0
Owls seen 2

Hours on stand 42 hours
Hunting trips 17

Shots at deer offered 6
Shots taken 0

Last edited:

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Things are looking up. The all day set did me in and took the morning off. Be out tonight, then tomorrow morning then go Vote.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Ran home from work last night and hunted the Halloween buck stand for two hours and got skunked again. Also didn't jump any on way in or out.

Bucks seen 2
Does seen 6
Bb seen 0
Turkeys seen 12+
Yotes seen 0
Owls seen 2

Hours on stand 44
Hunting trips 18

Shots at deer offered 6
Shots taken 0

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Had the best hunt in quite awhile today. Stuck with my gut and headed back to the Halloween buck stand again this morning. I was in my stand about 6:10. Got skunked till 10 o'clock. It was very windy and blustery today as the temps rose into the low 60's. Winds had to be in the 20 mph range or more throughout the day. Saw 7-8 bucks ranging from a small 4 pt to several in the 120-130 range. Videod several up close encounters and had 5 bucks pass through shooting lanes offering many shot ops. I was tempted by one buck but glad I just kept videoing him instead of grabbing my bow. He needs at least another year but had great potential.
Things died down from 12:15-1 and my phone was nearly dead. The wind was terrible so I opted to leave all my stuff in tree and just took my bow and headed out of the tree and back home for an hour. I ate a quick bite and charged my phone for 40 minutes then headed back to my tree.
My stand is just 150 yards from where I park along a creek bottom. About 80 yards before I reached my stand I heard running and I look up towards the bottom below my stand and see horns and brown bodies running away from me and right up past my stand! Fugg!!!!! Wouldnt ya know! Lol
Got back into my stand at 2:15 and at 4 I saw the tall tight racked 8 pt bedded down by the small dump in the finger hollar splitting the two cornfields at about 60 yards out. Kept my eye on him till he got up around 4:50 and videos him as he walked to within 15 yards of me. Could have shot him as well. He eventually skylines me and sneaks out but not too bad or nervous. At about 5:20 I hear hooves in the leaves and see a doe walking below me to my downwind and never boogers. As she walks out of sight I check my phone and it blows up cuz Ron(full bore) texts me, YKW BBD! It was getting dingey and still windy so I head out to check the scoop on my brothers good fortune.
What a great way to end a very good hunt!!!

I'll update my stats tomorrow as I'm beat to the socks!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Wow, what the heck just happened! Lmao

Just now catching everything up on this thread! Here are the updated stats from my Nov 4th hunt...the day Ron tagged a 150"10.

Bucks seen 10
Does seen 11
Bb seen 0
Turkeys seen 12+
Yotes seen 0
Owls seen 2

Hours on stand 54
Hunting trips 20

Shots at deer offered 16
Shots taken 0

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Update: THE DAY MY LUCK WOULD CHANGE!

Wasn't even planning on going due to the weather forecasted the night before but was pleasantly surprised the weatherman was wrong again! Rolled out a half hour later than normal but still in the Halloween buck stand before shooting light just like the day before. I saw a doe around 8 and a spike with 3 points around 9:30. Had great shots at the buck but the die was 60-70 yards out. Didn't see or hear a thing up till I slipped out at 12:30 to swap three cards and head home to view them.

I walked directly away from the finger and standing corn fields and walked the creek along the entire 600 yards to my last camera trying not to disturb or bump deer near or around these cornfields. Got home and ate a bite while viewing my 3 cards. Had 24 videos to go through and finally found a shooter on just one video. It was a wide and heavy white racked slob of a deer walking away from my camera just below the double stand I have set up for Karissa and me to hunt together. It has not been hunted yet and is 250 yards from where I've been hunting the past few sits. I thought what better place to be than where I've been sitting so I decided to stick with my gut and go back to the Halloween buck stand AGAIN!

I was back up in at around 2:30 and was skunked to about 4 o'clock then I saw the only deer I was to see the remainder of my hunt that day!
I will write my story starting at that precise moment when I can find some time today.

Bucks seen 12
Does seen 12
Bb seen 0
Turkeys seen 12+
Yotes seen 0
Owls seen 2

Hours on stand 63
Hunting trips 22

Shots at deer offered 19
Shots taken 2

BBD 50 yards from my tree......

Story coming later....

Last edited:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
"Get off me you f@@@@@@@ bush" One of the greatest lines in a deer story I've ever heard. Can't wait to read the story.