Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ever built/assembled a rod?

Creamer

Athens
Around a year ago, I built my first fly rod. Spinning, baitcasting, fly rod, the build process is essentially the same. I didn't particularly enjoy it, to be honest. It was a learning experience, and I got a cheap, functional rod out of it. I told myself I probably wouldn't do anther one. And here we are, less than a year later, and I'm working on another one. The first rod was a 9' 4wt I built for crappie fishing. This rod is a 10' 2wt nymphing style rod for trout. I'm sure I'll use it for other things, too, but that's the aim.

The most nerve wracking part for me is sizing the cork for the grip. I feel like the cork is going to split on me, but so far so good. I knocked that out first, figuring if a gack it up, I can stop now and put the project on hold. I've only done two of these but I'm still surprised at how much they need reamed to fit.

Guide wrapping, I do bare basic single color wraps. Since nymphing is often referred to as dirty and "the dark side," I figured red and black was appropriate. I don't do too badly on the guides for the larger sections of the rod, but the smaller/whippy sections give me fits. Having proper equipment I'm sure would help. I made my own rack and use the thread-through-a-book trick to keep tension on the thread. The rod sections with a lot of flex make it easy for me to lose tension and shit comes unwound. No fun.

I did add a red trout decal to the butt section above the hook keeper. On the last rod, I did the same with a crappie decal.

I've got all the guides on this one, minus the tip-top. I add it last. Next stop is finishing the wraps with the 2-part epoxy stuff I used on the last rod. Easy enough to use, just slow to dry. Mix, apply, use a flame (lighter) to get any air bubbles out, and let it turn on the turner until it's cured. It will take a few days to get the finishing done.

If you've ever been interested in building one, check out Mudhole. They sell just about everything from components to blanks to finishing supplies.

This is the other rod from last spring.

Assembles a rod for crappies and christens it with brown trout.

Last edited:

Creamer

Athens
That's one thing I have yet to dabble into, rod building. Looks nice! But I'm gonna take your word for it and just keep buying them...:ROFLMAO:

If you were good enough with it (I'm not), it would be a great way to get a high end rod cheaper. Of course, you have to be able to buy the blank for that to be possible. A lot of the higher end fly rod companies sell their blanks, and the blank is usually several hundred dollars less than a completed rod.

Reactions: OhioWhiteTails

OO2

In the Uplands
Nice rods! I’ll be picking your brain on fly rod blanks when I get to making one. I have only made spinning and casting blanks. I agree getting the diameter of the cork right can be worrisome process.

It’s pretty enjoyable to me. I have rods coming out of my ears now

Last edited:
Reactions: Creamer

Creamer

Athens
Nice rods! I’ll be picking your brain on fly rod blanks when I get to making one. I have only made spinning and casting blanks. I agree getting the diameter of the cork right can be worrisome process.

It’s pretty enjoyable to me. I have rods coming out of my ears now

How many coats of finish/epoxy do you put on your guides? The first rod I did, I only did one healthy coat. I’ve got the tip section (4 piece rod) one coat and the second section on the turner now for the current rod. Not sure if I’ll try a second light coat on this one or not.

Reactions: OO2

OO2

In the Uplands
How many coats of finish/epoxy do you put on your guides? The first rod I did, I only did one healthy coat. I’ve got the tip section (4 piece rod) one coat and the second section on the turner now for the current rod. Not sure if I’ll try a second light coat on this one or not.
I’ve done one and two coats before. I have had no negatives for either so far.

Reactions: Creamer