Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Euro mount project

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I like it Mike! Honestly, for the time it looks like you put into it, I think I would have spent the $40. Depends on the time of the year too. If I am busy, then I am spending the $40. If I had the time, i would take your route. This has to be very rewarding the way it turned out for you! Looks excellent!

rrr

Holy Batman, you're done already.

Cool, thanks for sharing. It would be neat to do yourself.

CdBurner

Looks great. I tried one years back. It was such a pain in the @$$ and I ruined my turkey fryer pot. Decided that was my last. Between my time, the cost of the products to make it look nice (peroxide, gas to go get it, etc..), the pot, the propane. I figured it was cheaper to go to a pro and let his beetles eat the flesh for me. 50$ and I pick it up in a few months. Saves the hassle.

But, to each his own. Nice job!

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I hear what you guys are saying. Here is the time and money I have into it so far:
skin the head - 1 hour
propane refill - $16, but I needed it anyway.
first simmer - 4 hours, but I got a lot done while that was going on. Drank beer.
pick off meat etc. - 1 hour
second simmer - 4 hours, but I got the rest of the Christmas lights and decorations up. Drank beer.
power wash - 1 hour
peroxide treatment - 4 hours, $3.50 for the product. I obviously didn't sit and watch it whiten. I watched football and played wii with the boys.

So in reality, it didn't take up that much time or money. The best part is instant gratification!:smiley_clap:

I'm working on the wood portion and will post when I get it going.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
So in reality, it didn't take up that much time or money. The best part is instant gratification!:smiley_clap:

I'm working on the wood portion and will post when I get it going.

I was with you all the way Mike untill I read this.... Just sayin... Dang.... :smiley_depressive: :smiley_clap: rotflmao

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Mike be careful with the teeth. I've read that if you boil the head the teeth tend to fall out.

Looks great though!

Thanks. Yah, I read that and that is why I simmered it over a longer period of time rather than boil it over a shorter period of time. I only lost one front tooth in the lower jaw and that is from the pressure wash. The teeth in the upper jaw are still tight!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Had my euro done by Knight's Taxidermy over in Clinton a few months ago. His regular price is like 85 bucks, which is pretty cheap compared to other guys using the Dermestid beetles. He gave me 25 bucks for the cape, so it only cost me 60 bucks. The nice thing about the Dermestid beetles is that all of the tiny nasal bones and teeth stay intact. He had it back to me in two weeks and it turned out awesome. DIY projects are always fun, but if I can have a guy do it for 60 bucks and I don't have to touch a thing, I'm gonna pay the 60 bucks! LOL.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I have the wood part done with one coat of satin.

HPIM1993.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I decided to go the euro mount way with my half rack buck that I got Monday.
First I removed all of the skin from the head followed by as much meat as I could get off. I took a 5/8" spade bit and scrambled the brains so they would ooze out.

Here it is before and after a two hour simmer in water and dawn dish detergent.

View attachment 760View attachment 761

Meanwhile, I got a chance to give some TLC to Big Red.

View attachment 762

Holy shit Mike. I have that exact snowblower.. I need a new pull rope though. Sucker can throw some snow.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
The project is looking great!
Gonna need a little brass plate w/ the date and your name when its done!

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Holy shit Mike. I have that exact snowblower.. I need a new pull rope though. Sucker can throw some snow.
That's one of the fixes I was doing that day. You need to take off that whole engine side cover (3 bolts) to be able to get to the 3 little bolts that hold the housing to the pull cord/spring mechanism. Fun times.
Gonna need a little brass plate w/ the date and your name when its done!
Ordered on Monday.