Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Electric motor for Pontoon boat

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I have a heavy pontoon boat and I need to replace the electric motor so I’m looking for options on manufactures.

The last one was a Minn Kota power drive with the 15ish foot cable/foot pedal, 24 volt, 70 lbs thrust with a 54” shaft. The pedal was a ongoing problem but now it’s been
“Redesigned”. I would have been happy to just replace with the same
Since they worked out the bugs (they say) on the peddle but the factory has had the model on national back order for almost 2 months.

I need the long cord for the pedal. Afraid of a hand held unit to steer cause the kids may loose it.
Need at least 50 lbs thrust but want 68-70

Sick of waiting... have 2 good marine battery’s so 24 volt would be good or should I just go 12 volt and alternate.

Anyone feel strongly about anyone else or should I just burn up another month of summer and wait on Minn Kota?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I don’t have any great suggestions here but I do have an opinion on remote control trolling motors - they are awesome! I did not think I would like them but if do. I thought I’d have an issue with misplaced control, but I don’t. The thing hangs around your neck and is about as handy as anything could be. Having Ipilot is just slick. I thought for sure it would be a pain while creeping along a bank but it just isn’t. I set it on the lowest setting, put the auto direction on and just creep along with relatively little adjustments needed while trying to fish. And for actually trolling? It’s fantastic! Plus you can control the thing from anywhere on the boat with nothing under your feet!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
The ultrex by minnkota has been a game changer in the industry. It’s a 36v system and is a very versatile tool for the folks using it. I’m fishing a tournament this morning with a friend and he has one. It’s got a spot lock option and using GOS it’ll lock you on the position for as long as you want too stay there regardless of the waves and winds. It has the ipilot option as well. Pricey, but it’s a nice tool too have as you can be hands free and spend the time with the grandkids as you maneuver around the boat with them.

If I had issues with my trolling motor and needed too replace it, the ultrex would be on the front of my boat.

Reactions: Sgt Fury and CJD3

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Minn Kota seems to be the most popular...
What about MotorGuide?
I’ve owned them solely throughout my boating career and they’re a solid trolling motor if you don’t want the autopilot for a trolling motor...
I’d recommend the minkota ultrex if you can swing it....

Reactions: Sgt Fury

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I’ve owned them solely throughout my boating career and they’re a solid trolling motor if you don’t want the autopilot for a trolling motor...
I’d recommend the minkota ultrex if you can swing it....
You’re saying MotorGuide is solid or Minn Kota?
I only need it on my lake so all I want is the power so I’m not blown down the lake when the wind kicks up. I don’t know about parts or service for Mororguide.
Minn Kota has parts and service but the foot pedal was a known problem in the past and
Since they dominate the industry, they charge more ...

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Motor guide is a solid no frills motor. It’ll get the job done you’re looking too do. Parts and service you’ll need too check for someone local. We have a few down here. I’ve had mine since 2001 and had the lower unit of it rebuilt ( I hit a cement barrier with it and it sucked water afterwards and shorted out) but that was an operator error. Cost a couple hundred bucks and hadn’t had any issues since. I typically use it for 8 hours a day when fishing tournaments or out for a day of fishing. 24v system 80lbs of thrust. Moves my 21’ 1600lb hull around in any conditions.

Reactions: CJD3 and Sgt Fury