Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

EHD in Ohio?

Gordo

Athens County
When was the last time it hit our area hard???

I don't remember it but have heard others talk about it. My one buddy claims the year following was the best ever in terms of 'BIG'/freak buck sightings. Some survival of the fittest/strongest genetics? Or it was simply his experience.

I 'like' to think there's a rhyme or reason behind mother natures destruction. Gotta go back and read this thread from the get go.

Anyway..... it was shitty to hear about it so close to home

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
When was the last time it hit our area hard???

I don't remember it but have heard others talk about it. My one buddy claims the year following was the best ever in terms of 'BIG'/freak buck sightings. Some survival of the fittest/strongest genetics? Or it was simply his experience.

I 'like' to think there's a rhyme or reason behind mother natures destruction. Gotta go back and read this thread from the get go.

Anyway..... it was shitty to hear about it so close to home

mrex.0 said it was about 10 years ago.

Gordo

Athens County
I wonder if by studying the harvest numbers, you can tell something like that happened and diminished the herd. Probably not?

Seems that each occurrence is isolated to certain areas.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm wondering if the rut in my area may be more intense with less deer. Thoughts?

I've wondered the same. Suppose it will be like any other rut. Got to be in the right place. It will be happening somewhere. If that somewhere is close to you, I'd think you may see some fierce rutting. Then you may see some extremes such as bucks that run themselves to death seeking due to the lower numbers and drive to breed. For your sake, I hope you get some great rut action Mike!

Gordo

Athens County
Yeah buddy!

Gotta think those deer will be running wild trying to 'relieve' themselves. It's going to be that much harder for them to achieve. Giddy up

Murphy31

Western Mass
We have a pretty small deer herd out here in Mass. In the eastern part towards Boston there are ok numbers, but in the western part where I live. The numbers are very low. Im talking you'll see a dozen or so the whole year. My best year was 23 deer, but that was a very good year. Before goin to Ohio. I'd only ever seen 1 buck chasing a doe. I'd have to guess it'll be a tough year for ya rut or not. When it snows during shotgun you can get on a buck track and go for over a mile with out him even barely breaking stride. The distance they travel when there isn't many around is way more than one would think. No lie. Sometimes you'll get a track all day from first light to dark and never even jump him. The thing is here that's their norm, and they obviously have adapted over the years to do that every rut. For them to have to do that where they normaly don't could just lead to more dead deer. Hopefully it doesn't turn out that way.

Last edited: