Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Doggone good dog thread

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Gracie learned a life lesson yesterday.
You can fugg around with most insects but not all. She got popped by something. Never saw it but heard her cry and assume it was a bee. Right on the eye lid. Still swelled up today. Been feeding her some Benadryl to help.

IMG_20200802_164835802.jpg
IMG_20200802_151617442.jpg

Big H

Medina
First sorry to hear of having to put the dog down. I’m no dog whisperer but, breeds have genetic traits. Or things are trained or allowed to grow. Sounds like the dog was the alpha one in the family. You can overcome it or allow it. Some breeds will most be aggressive and very hard to combat. For instance Pit bulls, yes there is a low percentage that won’t hurt a fly but the majority will kill. All dogs will bite and should never be trusted 100%. Once the dog does show aggressive behavior it should NEVER be trusted. Dogs will bite out of fear, drive or temperament. Hounds usually are not bitters, but are a pack type dog but also has a determined pecking order in rank structure. You might say she was the only dog and what structure you talking about. Your family is the rank structure. When you let a dog become dominate over someone, it’s rank structure increases. As time goes the dog rules over most or all if allowed. They are animals, if you let them be the alpha in the house you get what the dog deems appropriate in its eyes.

Well said. It works the same with women TOO. You can't let them think they are the alpha.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Just got back from the coast today. We (the wife) finally decided on a kennel too board the two pups at. Man they were happy too see us is an understatement. They haven’t left our sides yet. They’re drinking a lot more water and sleeping more than usual so I’m guessing a little separation anxiety was going on. They needed a break from us as much as we needed a break too the beach. First time they haven’t been with either family or friends whom they were accustomed too....

Big H

Medina
I am having separation anxiety myself right now. It's not the same sitting in my chair without Sky in my lap. We drove to Loudon, Tennessee and back Saturday (7.5 hours each way) and dropped Sky off to spend the week with her potential new boyfriend, HRCH Hunters Rest Fowler . Going back down this upcoming weekend to pick her up and hoping to have pups in November. We tried AI two cycles ago and it didn't take, so hopefully she stops trying to bite his face off and succumbs to his amorous approaches some time this week. LOL

Big H

Medina
Apparently we timed this one right after an unsuccessful AI attempt and Sky skipping her last heat cycle. They took her to the vet this am and did a "side by side" AI and then early this afternoon they got hooked up before they could stop them when she was letting the dogs out to get some exercise. LOL

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Big H, the female will eat up the male if she’s no ready. You may think she’s ready but she isn’t, funny how nature works over science huh. Congrats on the successful breeding. Typically you let them breed at least twice a day apart or until she’s not having it lol. This will produce the biggest litter possible. The studs spermicide can last over 48 hours as she drops eggs daily. Hope all goes well

Reactions: Big H

whitetailjunky3

Anybody have any good tips for separation anxiety? He’s a great dog till we leave for work then all hell breaks loose he’s destroyed 2 kennels and anything he can get ahold of. The vet wants to put him on medication but I’m hoping it’s just a pup thing as he is only 10 months old. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks

Reactions: bowhunter1023

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker

Anybody have any good tips for separation anxiety? He’s a great dog till we leave for work then all hell breaks loose he’s destroyed 2 kennels and anything he can get ahold of. The vet wants to put him on medication but I’m hoping it’s just a pup thing as he is only 10 months old. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks
No tips but I’ve had two dogs in my lifetime that were like that and fortunately they both grew out of it....I’m thinking about the two year old mark if I remember correctly.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Burn as much energy out of the puppy as possible at home. The dog is bored and they find something to do...usually they take out the frustration of what they are kept in.

Did you crate train before keeping in the crate for extended periods? Try to make their crate a safe space for him and not the “punish” area. [emoji2373]

My dogs love their kennels and would go in on their own to rest or get away. Can always put them in when your home to hopefully be accepted idk.

Jamie

Ohio
A tired dog is an obedient, submissive, well behaved dog, for sure. your dog doesn't need medication it needs to be drained of energy. lots of exercise and attention from you (you are the center of your dogs universe). dogs are social animals, and they get lonely and bored just like we do. get another dog. I'll never own one dog again. they keep each other company in my absence, and it really isn't any more work to have two dogs than one. I agree with TD also that crate training your indoor dog properly is extremely important when they are young. mine have all outgrown their need for a crate eventually and are loose in the house all the time when we are gone.