Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Doggone good dog thread

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
I'll admit, I slack on keeping up with treating my dogs with Adantix or whatever else. I need to be more vigilante in that regard. My vet recommends a good collar over any ointments. Makes sense since them suckers latch on around the neck area where the dog can't reach them most of the time.

I give my dog bravacto flea and tick chewable. Last 12 weeks/3 months. I also give my dog ivermec every month. Just put it in your calendar on your phone, helps me keep on tract.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
First shed hunt of 2019 and we're off to a great start.

EDE2AF96-C62F-48C4-B74E-38BB781559FD.jpeg

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Poor dad...Black Betty and a red head. He probably pulled the trigger. 😂

Good looking dog.
Ha! Yea, dad's a chocolate so he likely already hated himself. 😂 All kidding aside, he's one of the few chocolates I've ever liked the looks of. Got his 8th pass (4xGMPR) of Grand Master pointing retriever at less than 2 years old. Mom's a black. That pair produced 5 good litters over the years and some damn fine pups.

CCF47DF7-F178-4628-BBEC-052295EDFC45.jpeg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Bittersweet post.

Received word yesterday we will be fostering a young white boxer. I've rescued dogs before. Never fostered. They say it is no problem to Foster then adopt. Something to do with medical bills of the dog and how the pound releases dogs that are "not adoptable" due to health reasons. Meet Otis.
6325.jpeg

Now for the sad portion. We found this out yesterday. We can take him in two weeks. I was going to tell the kids today when they came home from school. Unfortunately, we found our beagle in the basement this afternoon. She was a rescue. 9-10yrs old. Good girl. Kind of a loner. Content hanging behind the couch, in our daughter's room, or the basement. Never a chewer, never grumpy, no messes in the house, minded as well as she could (we loved her but she was dumber than a bag of hammers). Not sure what happened. She was overweight. We constantly watched her food intake but she was good at fooling the wife or kids into feeding her again. Guessing possibly a heart attack? Really don't know. All I know is she has passed. Going to be a rough patch. First time in 25yrs or more I have been without a dog. First time my kids have EVER been without a dog in the house. :cry::cry:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Some of you had the privilege of hunting behind this beagle, Sarah succumbed too cancer last month. She would of been twelve this spring. Candy has turned into a house dog since her passing since they were together since candy was old enough to be weaned. She’s in a depression so too speak as her buddy is t around any more. I’m honestly at a cross roads in my rabbit hunting. Not sure if I’m getting another beagle or just going too call it quits due to up coming things coming down the pike....
Sarah was a dream to have in the woods. I never had to leash her or candy. Just like Penny and Katy. I guess I’ve been spoiled for the last 20 years and might as well call it quits on a high note.
I haven’t been out chasing bunnies this year and probably won’t be out as I’m heading to SC in a few days. So this season for chasing bunnies is a wash for now.
265AADEB-7C34-45C6-AB1A-E8CA1070E312.jpeg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sorry to hear this, Phil. Been too many dogs departing this group lately.

You aren't kidding. She showed zero signs of failing health outside her obesity. Hard to believe we've lost two so close together.

Our daughter is the one I worry most about. She is "second in command" of dogs when I'm not around. Izzy beagle was sort of "her" dog though. They enjoyed lounging in her bedroom. Graci is 17 but mature beyond her years. She said "Maybe Izzy and Otis would not have gotten along?" I told her I didn't think so. Izzy loved all. So then Graci said "Maybe God knew Otis would require ALL our love. Maybe he needs more attention than we know about." BAM! Talk about knocking a dad off his feet with such a healthy outlook. Mind you, she said this through her tears.