Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Dog training collar

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Been using Blue and Taste of the Wild for years. Always seemed to be good. Just last week we switched to try Wildology Salmon recipe. It's a newer food that Rural King carries. $30 for 30lbs and according to ingredients has all the right stuff. Too soon to tell but so far so good. Dogs stool is better so far. No gas issues so far. We will see if it cuts down Gracie's shedding.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
When we got him he was on Victor and we knew it was a low cost cheap food so we added an egg to his breakfast feeding. We did that for about a week but found it wasn't really doing much but giving him more of a loose stool. I think even with the slow transition from one food to another and adding that egg just aggravated his stomach a little to much. He is almost fully switched so I may add that back into his breakfast bowl here soon.

While he was at the prison for training they fed him 8 cups a day! I read that in his paperwork and was like, WTF! Lol. On top of everything I'm also trying to cut that amount down to 2 cups a day split into 1 cup in the morning and another 1 cup in the evening.

Reactions: Sgt Fury

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
I’m using taste of the wild. No complaints except for cost. Health wise, my dog is jam up. Black coat shines so good she looks silver in the sun. Doesn’t eat much or over eat.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Much like her humans, Lulu grazes all day. We have an on-demand feeder she has access to all day. Never had an issue with Remi overeating and she doesn't seem too either.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
8 cups a day is a stupid amount of food! I hunt my Lab a LOT in the fall and generally 3 cups a day is a large portion. It all depends on the quality of the food but usually increasing volume is not a good approach.

Adam, adding a fish oil pill once a day can be helpful too for their skin and coat. If the food has a good amount of omegas it may not be necessary, but with cheap food it can make a difference.

Grazing vs timed feedings... This is another good topic. I subscribe to the timed feeding approach. I travel with the dog quite a bit and so I want her to eat when I want her to eat, not when she wants to. Grazing can potentially make this a pain in the ass.

Jamie

Ohio
I'm all in with timed feeding. is an important part of being on a schedule. if they don't eat when I put a bowl in front of them, they don't eat. Slick is really, really bad for not eating when fed. causes problems when we are hunting all day and he is running out of gas because he refused his breakfast. don't know what to do about it other than starve his gooney ass when he doesn't eat. for the month and a half when were hunting everyday or almost, I feed them as much as they want.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I'll take a look at what omegas are in his food now.

Our dogs had always grazed until our last dog. She ended up with a weight issue so we had to put her on a regular feeding schedule and really watch her intake. Doing that for several years with her we just rolled right into doing that with this guy too. Depending on his activity levels I would like to keep him at 2 cups total 1c in the morning and 1c in the evening and adjust as needed. We like the the measured and timed feeding for several reasons. The biggest reason for doing it this way imo.

1) we can tell sooner if there is any issues or sickness as appetite is usually the 1st sign.

Jamie

Ohio
for those of you that have "inside" dogs, do they all drink out of the toilet? all of ours always have. I tell people this and they look at me like I'm from another planet, and with a fair amount of disgust. even our fucking cat drinks out of the toilet, which is comical to watch. water is always cool, and if it isn't fresh, well, that's on them. :D the best part is that if I piss all over the seat and don't realize it or don't care, then I can blame it on the dogs being sloppy while drinking when Nancy sits on wet toilet seat and goes ballistic. she seems to have a much harder time getting mad at the dogs than she does me. :rolleyes:

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
One thing to consider is every dog is independent of each other including the same breed. Treat them as such. Just like personalities in people, none are exactly alike. A good balanced diet for the breed and type of activity should be considered. Climate also effects this. I know at one time when I hunted my dog everyday and all day I poured hot water on the food so it would eat enough.

In summer dogs required more water which leaves less desire to eat. Should always monitor their intake. There is no magical recipe for all dogs.

IMO a somewhat regimen is good for your dog and for you to be able create a balance. If it’s best to feed your dog at a certain time then try to stay around those times. You don’t want your dog starving for food anytime. Hungry is not starving.

Last edited:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
for those of you that have "inside" dogs, do they all drink out of the toilet? all of ours always have. I tell people this and they look at me like I'm from another planet, and with a fair amount of disgust. even our fucking cat drinks out of the toilet, which is comical to watch. water is always cool, and if it isn't fresh, well, that's on them. :D the best part is that if I piss all over the seat and don't realize it or don't care, then I can blame it on the dogs being sloppy while drinking when Nancy sits on wet toilet seat and goes ballistic. she seems to have a much harder time getting mad at the dogs than she does me. :rolleyes:
When we first brought him home he did fine drinking out of his bowl. For whatever reason he started drinking out of the toilet yesterday so it's funny you brought that up. It's the first animal I have had do it lol.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
8 cups a day is a stupid amount of food! I hunt my Lab a LOT in the fall and generally 3 cups a day is a large portion. It all depends on the quality of the food but usually increasing volume is not a good approach.

Adam, adding a fish oil pill once a day can be helpful too for their skin and coat. If the food has a good amount of omegas it may not be necessary, but with cheap food it can make a difference.

Grazing vs timed feedings... This is another good topic. I subscribe to the timed feeding approach. I travel with the dog quite a bit and so I want her to eat when I want her to eat, not when she wants to. Grazing can potentially make this a pain in the ass.

We picked up some liquid wild Alaskan salmon fish oil yesterday. It tells how much to give but not how often to add it. I know it's a once a day addition. Do you feed daily?

The people at the store where we got it said to feed it daily for a week and then skip a week and feed again. I just don't see why you would need to skip a week.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
We picked up some liquid wild Alaskan salmon fish oil yesterday. It tells how much to give but not how often to add it. I know it's a once a day addition. Do you feed daily?

The people at the store where we got it said to feed it daily for a week and then skip a week and feed again. I just don't see why you would need to skip a week.
Honestly, I have no idea. I don't give my dog supplemental fish oil because her food is giving her all she needs. I have no experience with liquid fish oil... Just know a few folks giving their dogs fish oil pills. They do this once a day, every day. I don't know the reasoning behind skipping a week either. Other than maybe if it's potent enough, you don't need to feed it every day for the sake of wasting it?

Reactions: RedCloud

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

My basset would but only if there was pee in it. 😂. She really only started doing it once we had our boy and the wife wouldn't flush at night for fear of waking the baby. Next thing you know Bella would be in there drinking from the bowl. I would just look at my wife and say that's why they're called animals. She would also eat poop but only in the dead of winter when it was frozen solid. Never touch it the rest of the year, she just couldn't resist a January frozen poopsicle

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I mentioned my grandma owning the world's dumbest golden retriever this week in this thread or the Silve Lab thread. When we were kids, we'd spend most of our time at the pond. If you had to poop, that dog would beat the flies to the pile. By the time he figured out what was going on when we dropped trowel, he'd practically eat it straight out of the dispenser! 😂

Fuggin dog loved him some steamy human 💩