Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Dog training collar

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
What would be a good dog training collar?

The wife and I have found a dog we are awaiting notification from the pound for adoption. He is going to be given obedience training but I would also like to be able to take him out to the woods on occasion. I'm thinking a shock trainer would be the way to go.

What do you guys think?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I concur with the others. Need to know what your goals are with the dog first. IMO if it's just basic commands and obedience, you really don't need to drop money on an e-collar. You can address the need for one later, after seeing how the dog progresses early on. 4-6 months old is about the time for introducing an e-collar. You'll know by then whether or not it's necessary.

That all being said, I prefer the Garmin/Tri-Tronics collars. They are certainly not the cheapest but they're well made and very versatile.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I have the older tritronics with a mile range too them. Some folks who’ve bought the newer Garmin’s (they took over tritronics) aret as happy as they were with the tritronics. Unless you’re hunting the dog and it roams a good distance I’d stay with the ecollar that only goes a couple hundred yards.... They'll be cheaper.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Most dogs get the hint after a few times of wearing the collar and you rarely need too tone or light them up. But you do always have that one stubborn hard headed one out there... Usually males 😂😂😂

Reactions: Sgt Fury

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
that one stubborn hard headed one out there... Usually males 😂😂😂

Or the alpha female mega bitch fire-breather types... :ROFLMAO:

IMG_20161104_170413.jpg

Reactions: Sgt Fury and giles

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Sportdog 425 is what I use. Still like garmin, tritronics was the shit back in the day but has fallen behind the curve. You can pic this one up for under 200 bones. Make sure you know how to properly use a e collar. In general it don’t train your dog, but rather you use it to correct known commands. Basically be able to correct your dog when it’s away from you.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
what kind of dog and what will it be doing in the woods with you?

Lab
He was surrendered to the pound and I didn't think to ask why. I plan on just taking him along on my scouting/ goofing around trips. With all the other dogs I have had I wouldn't trust any of them to not run off and be in the next county.

We were able to take him out of his kennel and into a room and visit with him. He seems like he will be very receptive to training. I just figured after his basic obedience training he would only need the collar for off lead training but would only need it a couple times to figure out what he's supposed to do. I don't want to use it unless I need to and don't want to use it as an every time we go out thing. I just want to use it as an attention getter for a few trips. I don't want to light him up just because I can.

I would be new to off lead training so that's why I wanted to post here and figure this out before hand. He is going to the prison for training for four weeks starting next week so I will have to learn things as well. When he gets back after the new year I would be able to gage weather I would need it or not. Just trying to line things up and get my ducks in a row just incase it's needed.

Truthfully the only time I have used a training collar with hounds is for breaking off of deer and occasionally for a hard headed one for calling back to me. If this dog is going to be a house dog where they are interacting with humans daily then that is usually less of an issue. Most labs usually stay around you from my experience.

Alot of people misuse shock collars as they let their emotion get the best of them. Use as sparingly as possible.

Reactions: RedCloud

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I like using the tone for recall , stimulation may just save your dogs life in hazardous situation.I don't go in the woods without an e collar on the dog.

Mine is basically a one mile long lead....

I rarely stimulate a dog, just enough when they’re being stubborn so they understand then the rest is tone.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Kudos for picking one up from the pound. They seem to know that you saved them and make great companions. Let us know how things go.
Last dog we had I found while out deer hunting. Turned out to be one of the smartest and best dogs I've ever had. She was a chow/ lab mix and we had her for 13 years. Haven't had a dog for about 5 years now but the wife is wanting another one.

Reactions: Sgt Fury

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've got mine trained to recall on the tone/beep function. It's useful when pheasant hunting... I can call her back without having to make any noise and spook birds.

But you really should have a dog trained to come, and be able to call it off of other critters, without using an e-collar. No! Here! Is all that it should take. You can use an e-collar to get to that point if necessary, but don't allow it to be NEEDED. Usually when a dangerous situation presents itself, there's not enough time to reach for a transmitter and fumble with buttons.

It's great you're getting a rescue dog, Adam. And Labs are pretty tough to beat (I'm severely biased). I think you'll be surprised how trainable they are even without a collar. They are incredibly smart... So much so, that they will figure out that damn collar and misbehave without it, if you're not careful in how you train with it.

Reactions: Jamie and RedCloud

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Lab
He was surrendered to the pound and I didn't think to ask why.

Found out today that he was surrendered because his owner went to jail for a domestic and the other half couldn't keep him.

Still haven't been given the approval yet but we haven't been told no yet either. Still in the race at this point. Driving the wife nuts waiting to find out.

Reactions: jagermeister

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've had good luck with my SportDog collars, but barely used them with Lulu. Remi was stubborn as hell and it was a necessity with him, but I've trained her on snacks and praise. Each dog's personality really determines the overall need for an e-collar IMO.