Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Does anyone else eat this?

Walrus of Steel

Ohio
Maybe I am a little strange. Come to think of it, I probably am. But I actually like eating carp. I just make sure to cut all the darker meat out and use it for trap bait. Does anyone else like carp? Any recipes? What about suckers? I never get those, or I would probably try it.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Maybe I am a little strange. Come to think of it, I probably am. But I actually like eating carp. I just make sure to cut all the darker meat out and use it for trap bait. Does anyone else like carp? Any recipes? What about suckers? I never get those, or I would probably try it.
I’ve eaten smoked carp one time. It was God-awful. I have absolutely no desire to eat carp ever again.

I’ve heard suckers can be good too, but I’ve never tried it.

Reactions: Gern186

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Never have myself, but I know carp/sucker balls and cakes are a thing. I think MeatEater has a recipe either in their cookbooks or on YouTube for them.

Buckmaster

Portage
I’ve eaten catfish, sheep head, and steelhead. That’s about where I typically draw the line. If you cooked a carp I’d try it.

Fletch

Supporting Member
They say suckers are good, but you gotta get them early when the water is still cold.....

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I was just about to say, MeatEater, I think on their Das Boat show, had a whole episode dedicated to Carp eating and the industry created behind it somewhere in the South.
I need to watch that one... I bet it’s a good one.

I fully despise the common carp. They were introduced up here to Sandusky Bay in the late 1800’s, by a shooting club member who had the bright idea to proliferate carp as a major food source. Consequently, and in combination with tiling and drainage of the great black swamp, the water clarity in Sandusky Bay and Muddy Creek Bay was destroyed and changed to chocolate milk. All of the lush aquatic vegetation like wild rice and wild celery disappeared and the aquatic landscape was changed forever. Now all we can do is look at historical records and use our imaginations to picture how amazing it once was. Because of a stupid ugly fish.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Lol I thought you were going to say muskrat lol. Only have had carp smoked and it wasn't to bad.
IMG_20210131_104914389.jpg