Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

DIY Walk-the-Plank Mouse Trap

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Believe it or not, there’s a guy on YouTube with a channel specifically dedicated to reviewing and testing mouse traps. It’s a rabbit hole that is well worth going down if you hate rodents in your garage or shop! Well, this guy swears by this “walk the plank” mouse trap that you can purchase on eBay. The concept is similar to the ol spinning bottle and bucket trick, but much better. The mouse feels stable on the platform, and therefore fully commits to going for the bait... then it’s too late... the bottom falls out!

I decided yesterday afternoon I was going to try making one. I took a thin sheet of aluminum and cut about a 2.5” x 6” rectangle out of it. Then popped a couple small holes in it and folded the edges over. As it turns out, an average mouse weighs about 0.5 - 1.0 ounce. Conveniently, a AA battery is slightly less than an ounce. So I played around with the weigh distribution and balance, and settled on two AA batteries as my counterweight. My pivot point is roughly 2” from the end. I then mounted it inside an old bucket, notching out the side so that the “plank” has a shelf to rest on. Added a walkway board and Wah-Lah! Homemade walk-the-plank mouse trap. I baited it with some smooth peanut butter and let it go to work.

Pleasantly surprised this morning with my results!

The only thing I need to add is a block or bumper to keep the plank from over-rotating and getting stuck in an inverted position. I likely would have caught more than 2 last night if it weren’t for my plank being completely vertical when I came in.

8F087AC4-A3A0-42AC-AA61-FF2560F3E969.jpeg
B39EC9B8-627F-4AEB-8E53-FB2A5547FB7E.jpeg
05DE3DA6-0FBA-4CDF-8FC0-758FFB61544C.jpeg

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Antifreeze in the bottom of the bucket, Jim?
Yep, but only because it was convenient. I flushed the radiator on a tractor yesterday so it was already in a bucket. Lol. But if you’re trapping in an outside/non-heated building, the antifreeze is required. Nice can just out of a dry bucket or one with ice in the bottom. Part of me is curious too whether the mice are attracted to the sweet smell of the antifreeze.
If'n I get time to this weekend, I may play around with this concept. Bad ass, JB!
Go for it man. Just play around with the balance of it. You want the mouse to be able to get almost clear out to the bait before the plank tips.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've tried Walk the Plank, never had any luck with it.
Sometimes when I don’t have any luck catching mice, or catching as many as I think I should, it’s because there simply isn’t as many mice as I thought. Usually when there’s a bunch of mouse poop in an area, it appears that there’s a bigger problem than there really is. Not sure whether this had anything to do with your lack of success or not, but something to consider I guess.