Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

DIY Camera Mount

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Woke up in the middle of the night last night and my mind was racing through a million different thoughts. This was one of them. I'm headed to Lowes at lunch to stock up on supplies. Many thanks to @xbowguy for sharing this with us. These things are the cat's ass for cheap and easy camera mounts that work perfectly. I'll share my "ingredients list" later on.

Fletch....there is a newer version that is much easier to use and needs no tools. Replace the bolt through the center with a 1-inch thumbscrew in 1/4-20. Then add a wing nut on the far side of that. On the eye screw, put a wing nut on backward to go up against your camera.

20170805_173606.jpg

This one is a stubby for rear mount on a camera but you'll get the idea.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Totally agree. Big thanks to Rick. I made a bunch of them up last summer and use them all the time... usually they’re more useful and certainly more fast than using the standard webbing straps. I made a variation of it that’s handy too. In a lot of areas I hunt (marshes, CRP, etc) there are no trees nearby, or at least not where I want them. At Rural King they sell various lengths of rebar with two rings welded onto them. They’re usually found in sporting good section near the traps. Anyway, instead of connecting the eyebolt to the ring of a lag screw-eye, I connect it to the top ring on one of these rebar stakes. Then I have an adjustable tilt camera mount, on a stake that I can put in the ground anywhere I want it.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Also, I can’t remember if Ricks original post mentions this or not, but go to the hardware section and pick up some large rubber washers... put them between the metal washers to help the pivot point “lock” in place better when tightening the thumb screw.

Reactions: Big_Holla

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My only bitch about the rebar stand method is the stakes at Rural King are a little thin. If your camera is out in the open and exposed to significant wind, the top heavy camera will move around enough to result in blank/false triggers.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I usually use a 4" screw, but they only had 5" one in stock. I'd have went with 1" washers too, but they only had the 1.25". They also didn't have 1/4" grommets, so I didn't buy those, but didn't really think I needed them after a test run. I probably could have gotten better prices at Lowes or HD, but I supported a locally owned franchise.

20200706_130431.jpg