Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

DIY Bow Press

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'd love to have a real bow press, but can't get myself to part with the $, so I've been looking at plans for ones built using a table clamp. Has anyone done this before? Things you'd do differently?

I may commission a homemade metal fab build too, but I'd still have a couple Benjamins in that. The table clamp versions are $25-30.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
This one served me well for almost 8 years.

https://theohiooutdoors.com/threads/diy-pipe-clamp-bow-press.2595/

It just recently "gave out" on me last fall while pressing a buddy's Blowtech. Go figure. 😂 In all seriousness, I have no regrets using this one as it worked great for my amount of use, which at times was pretty substantial. The oak "finger" on the one side started to crack... I'm guessing due to drying out... And I simply don't trust it anymore.

Having said all of that, as much as I love that little pipe clamp press, I would pony up and buy a real press...a linear press... for my next one. It's just not as nice, not as fast, and not as capable as a "real" bow press.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I have one of those and it's great for field work, but it's cumbersome and awkward for bench work. Great tool for emergency work, just not a tuning type of tool.

Reactions: Matt

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
This one served me well for almost 8 years.

https://theohiooutdoors.com/threads/diy-pipe-clamp-bow-press.2595/

It just recently "gave out" on me last fall while pressing a buddy's Blowtech. Go figure. 😂 In all seriousness, I have no regrets using this one as it worked great for my amount of use, which at times was pretty substantial. The oak "finger" on the one side started to crack... I'm guessing due to drying out... And I simply don't trust it anymore.

Having said all of that, as much as I love that little pipe clamp press, I would pony up and buy a real press...a linear press... for my next one. It's just not as nice, not as fast, and not as capable as a "real" bow press.

I thought I remembered you doing this. That's the same website I was browsing before I posted this. Been a lot of people build one thanks to that guys work.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I have a bowmaster. I also have an older apple bow press table top that is useless on newer bows. The bow master is handy and portable. Then again, I’ve restrung bows with a ratchet strap more than once... the bow master is certainly a better option. :)

Reactions: bowhunter1023

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yea, a bowmaster is a good tool to keep around in case of emergency, but that's about it.

I think the toughest part of all this is just getting a set of fingers made. Once you have a set of those, you can go a few different directions with a DIY build.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Jim has a handy one that is portable and easy to use. It's a center cylinder with a cable. You string it between the limbs and draw the bow how much you want the limbs to compress and it holds them there. When you want to release it you turn the bow upside down and release the safety then draw the bow back a little to release it and let it down. I'll try to get the name of it.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Jim has a handy one that is portable and easy to use. It's a center cylinder with a cable. You string it between the limbs and draw the bow how much you want the limbs to compress and it holds them there. When you want to release it you turn the bow upside down and release the safety then draw the bow back a little to release it and let it down. I'll try to get the name of it.
That sounds like a slick little press!

Dimensions would be good, Chuck. That may change my direction here!

OK I will check it tonight and maybe even snap a couple pics. I had been researching bow press builds on Archery Talk a few years ago when I had the bright idea. There are all kinds of plans on there, even for the jaws to be machined out. Just never got everything together for my dad to start fabricating it.

Reactions: bowhunter1023