Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Distance Kills for the 17 HMR?

I’ve shot groundhogs out to 150 yards with my 17 HMR. I recently purchased a 17 WSM that I’m eager to sight in this spring. May be able to stretch it out to 200 yards or more with this round.
Sgt Fury,
I used to own a 17 WSM and it was a g-hog killer! ☠️ After sighting it in, the next 4 shots killed g-hogs out to 186 yards (laser range finder). I could hear the bullet smack/thud, just like my 22-250. 💯

I'm sure there are guys out there that have killed coyotes with both the 17 HMR and 17 WSM, but it's NOT my first, second or third choice for coyotes. :rolleyes:
I shot a male coyote, chasing a female coyote on a Thursday evening. Heard the bullet smack him, heard him yelp and watched him run off. The next day, Friday, the same pair were in the same area, but the shot was in the 240+ yard range, on the same male coyote. How do I know it was the same one, you might ask....:sneaky: He was carrying his right front leg and still trying to breed that female. (that pink stuff will get you killed) I shot him, while he was sitting, facing away from me, in the middle of his back. He flopped around like a carp on the beach. 😎

Anyway, I ordered a Savage B17 BNS-SR, but it won't be here for another week to 10 days. :rolleyes: I ordered a Vortex 4-12x40 Diamondback, from Optics Planet, which will more than likely get here before the rifle. I intend to run a suppressor on it, which should make it a g-hog killing machine.
17-1.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Great looking rig. I wouldn't count on much over 100. Light bullets. They drop like a brick after 100. Even if your hold over is good, doesn't take much breeze to misdirect a 17gr bullet. At least, the 17gr is what has worked well for me.

Reactions: Bowhunter57
Great looking rig. I wouldn't count on much over 100. Light bullets. They drop like a brick after 100. Even if your hold over is good, doesn't take much breeze to misdirect a 17gr bullet. At least, the 17gr is what has worked well for me.
Thanks and I agree about the distance. My intentions are to sight it in at 50 yards and check to see where it's hitting at 25 and 100 yards. I intend to hunt around outbuildings where landowners and farmers are having issues with varmints. ☠️🐾

Creamer

Athens
I’ve never shot a coyote with a 17…only chucks. I have a .220 swift I used for chucks and coyotes but I’m going to sell it when I’m up in Pennsylvania this May. Aint many woodchucks around anymore and I don’t shoot it much.

I shot a coyote two years back with mine. It was about a 40 yard shot, he stopped perfectly and turned his head. I put one in the side of his head and turned out the lights. Done. I need to buy a coyote/predator rifle because I don't want to carry the 17HMR for that. I have a hand-me-down .22-250 that is a fantastic shooting gun, but it's a heavy bull barrel rifle and it's a beast to lug around. I'd rather have something in a similar round but a much lighter package.

Reactions: Sgt Fury

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I shot a coyote two years back with mine. It was about a 40 yard shot, he stopped perfectly and turned his head. I put one in the side of his head and turned out the lights. Done. I need to buy a coyote/predator rifle because I don't want to carry the 17HMR for that. I have a hand-me-down .22-250 that is a fantastic shooting gun, but it's a heavy bull barrel rifle and it's a beast to lug around. I'd rather have something in a similar round but a much lighter package.
Look at the ruger American, they’re light and accurate.

Reactions: Creamer
@Creamer
Did you ever buy that rifle, for coyotes? 🤔
I was looking at getting another rifle, even though my Savage 22-250 works fine and I've never lost a coyote. I've had a lot more 1 shot drops with a 243. I handled a few CVA Cascade rifles in 243 and they come with threaded barrels too. Camo stock and bronze cerekote looks great and they're not as heavy as some of the Mossberg rifles. 👍 Also, Bergara purchased CVA about 3 years ago, so the barrels are great. 💯