Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Diablo 2016

Diablo54

Outside
He took off hard. Back down the side of the ridge. I thought for sure I heard him crash. I turned around in my stand and closed my eyes. Playing the shot over in my head. I hit him where I wanted too. But the remorse was already taking over as I didn't want to be done this soon. I finally found myself being thankful for what had just happened and called my dad. I Explained the shot and he was on his way. 1 hour later we where back at the stand. We started tracking and the blood was sparse. We would find one spot every 10 yards. I kept figuring that he would fill up with blood and start bleeding or be dead. With the low amount of blood we backed out and went for better flashlights. My hopes where high as we had only gone 75 yards and I just knew he would open up or be dead soon.

Diablo54

Outside
We grabbed my dog and a leash along with the flashlights. When we got back I put gunner on the trail and let him work. At first he was confused. But once I found some blood for him to work with it seemed like it was game on. An 80 pound dog was pulling me through the brush like I was a rag doll. After 100 yards I had to stop him and see if there was any blood. Sure enough there where a few specks. I whistled for dad to let him know that gunner was on the track. With a smile I whispered to gunner and said find it. We where off again. We went down to the bottom and next thing I know he started acting like he was clueless. He went uphill once. Then down to the creek to get a drink. Then he went straight. I tied him to a tree and sure enough there was blood on a sapling 15 yards back on the trail. When dad got down to us he found the next speck on a leaf a few yards passed the sapling. The deer could have went three directions from here and the blood was down to nothing. After an hour of crawling around looking for a sense of direction we decided to walk the bench and the creek and then call it quits for the night. After a quick walk down the creek in both directions we found nothing.

Diablo54

Outside
We went back again Saturday and still found nothing. No more blood. No deer. Disappointment sat in yet again. The only excuse I have is that maybe at the angle I shot him I only got one lung.
It makes no sense to me and would more than likely aim there again for the same shot. I went back tuesday and did not smell anything or see any buzzards. I'm hoping he has made it. I checked the camera and he was no where to be found on it. But he may be laying low and staying out of that area. The wide ten was still coming through though. I'm giving the place another rest. And will see what the camera shows this weekend. So far this season has been fun and disappointing at the same time. But that's hunting.

Dang Taylor I was wondering how you and your dad's season was going, I sent you a text the other day. Sure wish the story ended differently for you. Perhaps you'll find it later in the season or perhaps he will be just fine too, just one of those things I guess. Hopefully that big sucker sticks around and gives you or your dad an opportunity!!

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
Damn Taylor, you have had a hell of a roller coaster 2 weeks. Keep at it buddy!

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Awesome read Taylor! Keep at it young man... I think this happened because you were supposed to get the wide one. So get him! And Good Luck!

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
It's a damn shame you didn't find that buck! Don't get down on yourself, you guys did all you could in looking for that buck. Get back out there and in the saddle!

Diablo54

Outside
Another new buck

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
Happend to me this year. And after 3 days the deer I shot was back on camera. Hope he shows back up for ya it makes you feel alot better knowing there still alive instead of laying out there and never gonna be found.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Hey T! You got em coming into kettle corn now? rotflmao

You my friend have some very nice bucks to hunt this year! Good luck buddy!!