Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Derecho storm

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
Have you guys heard much about this in Ohio? We had a Derecho go though about 2/3 of Iowa early Monday afternoon. Basically a 40 mile wide tornado that went hundreds of miles. Sustained winds of 80 to 115 mph for almost 40 minutes. I am in Linn County and we got hammered. Super scary shit to go through. Didn’t have power for a few days (amazed we even have it now), and still no cable or internet. Just spotty cell service for me. I heard hardly boo was on the National news about it, instead covid, the VP pick, and CA fires. So much for fly over country.....
In summary it is a total natural disaster. Complete devastation. Imagine almost every mature tree in your area either down at the root ball, snapped completely in half, or most of their branches tossed everywhere. Trees on houses all over the place, parts of houses missing, huge transmission lines down, grain bins tossed everywhere, barns, corn fields are all flat, etc. I can post some pics and videos (got video of the maple in my back yard coming down) once I have better service. Really to spotty not for uploads right now. Just curious if folks outside of the area know just how bad the situation really is.

Reactions: Mike

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Yea. June 29. 2012, I think is when the one hit us. My small town in Hancock County was devastated. I was at work and about 3:30pm we started getting alerts for it. Boss cut us loose an hour early so we could try and get home. I made it 2 blocks and took shelter at a co workers house. We watched trees topple, roofs rip off. Just pure chaos. It only lasted 5 minutes or so. I took off for home and had a hell of a time. Normally a 12 minute drive took 30 minutes. Just debris everywhere. Our small town looked like a twisted jungle of trees, power wires, and sheet metal. We were without power for about a week, and it was about 100 degrees every day. I was lucky enough to take my freezers to work and plug them in. We ran a generator and had 3 families with young kids under one roof the whole time. I was one of the fortunate ones in town. Only had two garage roofs need fixed and a small section of the house roof. Lost a light pole and a grill too. I try and see if my MIL has any pics

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
I’ve seen it on the local and national news a few times. They didn’t mention much about damage to trees or homes...mostly focusing on the damage to corn fields...said it could cost over 4 billion in losses to farmers. Hope there wasn’t any damage to your home.

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
We made out pretty well. The street I live on is fairly ‘young’, with most houses only being 15 to 20 years old. So we don’t have the mature trees that caused most of the damage when they came down. We lost 2 trees, some shingles, and had some water coming into Sheas room through her smoke detector. The church just to our west lost its roof so our house was covered in insulation from it. Cleanup at my place didn’t take too long, but since then I’ve been helping neighbors, family, and friends who were not so fortunate. I’ve cut more wood over the past few days than I would ever care to. Old body is achy.

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I was gone somewhere, can't remember now. When I came home the next morning, I couldn't get up the driveway due to a downed tree. We didn't have a generator at the time, but lucked out that my dad had just bought a place that came with one, so we borrowed his, but didn't have gas. The lines at the gas stations were nuts, but we managed to fill up my truck and 2 gas cans. Survived 7 days on 10 gallons of fuel running it for an hour here and there to keep both freezers cold.

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
This was my Mad Max gas run the next day (sorry if the youngsters don’t get the reference). Had to run an hour north to find a gas station that had both power and a line that was not a mile long.
333497A6-A5C8-41B2-98DD-490B9236EACA.jpeg

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
On our way home from the fuel run. The high voltage transmission lines over the hill had a car caught up in them and the road was closed. I wish I had got a pic of it as it was pretty eerie. We had to detour south and actually drove over the downed lines. Trucks etc were also on their sides all over the place. I also heard the cooling towers at the nuclear power plant collapsed. Crazy widespread damage.

FC361523-D6BF-48BB-A082-2984044C5166.jpeg
C030FDA9-49AF-47B0-AD9C-992906969CA2.jpeg
64A13D40-0802-4E5A-868D-3F6A0B9F1790.jpeg

Reactions: Sgt Fury