Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Deer Hunting Proposal

COLUMBUS, OH – The Ohio Wildlife Council heard proposals for Ohio’s 2019-2020 white-tailed deer hunting season dates and bag limits at Wednesday’s meeting, according to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR). The proposed season dates are nearly identical to previous seasons.

Overview of proposed deer hunting seasons for 2019-2020:

• Deer archery: Sept. 28, 2019-Feb. 2, 2020
  • Youth deer gun: Nov. 23-24, 2019
  • Deer gun: Dec. 2-8, 2019; Dec. 21-22, 2019
  • Deer muzzleloader: Jan. 4-7, 2020
Deer bag limits were proposed to remain the same for all counties. The statewide bag limit was proposed to remain at six deer, only one of which may be antlered, and a hunter cannot exceed a county bag limit.
As the first step toward electronic permitting in the future, it was proposed that hunters be allowed to carry either a printed or electronic version of their valid deer or turkey permits. Hunters are currently required to invalidate printed deer and turkey permits by filling them out. It was also proposed to allow hunters to transport their deer or turkey to their residence or temporary lodging without a game tag being attached to the animal, as long as their permit is properly filled out and the hunter remains with the animal.
It was also proposed to change the name of the antlerless deer permit to deer management permit. Another proposal is to require hunters who harvest a deer within a disease surveillance area (DSA) to deliver the head to an inspection station only during the seven-day gun season rather than all firearm seasons.

http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/wildlif...cil-receives-2019-2020-deer-hunting-proposals

Reactions: Sgt Fury

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Finally, it'll be nice to not be an outlaw for moving deer without a shitty paper tag attached...
Yeah, I always thought that was dumb. If I have the tag filled out and in my pocket, that should be just fine. Or, if I have a pic of the tag on my phone so it doesn't get ruined, that should be fine too.

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
I agree. It's about time they catch up with reality/technology and at least make e-permits and tagging an option.

The gun seasons are really late this year due to the Thanksgiving holiday at the end of Nov, the 28th.

Isaacorps

Columbus
Ohio is WAY behind Kentucky on a lot of this stuff. Seems like they, for the most part, have competent people running DFW down there unlike here

jimk

With the current ability to buy a Tag online and print it out, that alone makes it real easy to poach. What stops someone from printing out a tag, make a copy of it then go in to the woods, harvest a deer, write on the tag, carry the deer out and if no stops them when they get home, they butcher it in the garage and throw that piece of paper. Now they can use their copy of the tag to do it all over again.

Once we had the ability to print out our own tags, we should have had long ago revised rules to handle the digital age. The new rules proposed are a step in the right direction IMO. I for one think the ODNR should allow check in via just an app and taking a picture of the dead deer within that app. Allow the app to use your location and it will have all the county information as well. Your hunting and fishing license will be stored in the app along with any tags you have purchased.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
With the current ability to buy a Tag online and print it out, that alone makes it real easy to poach. What stops someone from printing out a tag, make a copy of it then go in to the woods, harvest a deer, write on the tag, carry the deer out and if no stops them when they get home, they butcher it in the garage and throw that piece of paper. Now they can use their copy of the tag to do it all over again.

Once we had the ability to print out our own tags, we should have had long ago revised rules to handle the digital age. The new rules proposed are a step in the right direction IMO. I for one think the ODNR should allow check in via just an app and taking a picture of the dead deer within that app. Allow the app to use your location and it will have all the county information as well. Your hunting and fishing license will be stored in the app along with any tags you have purchased.

That's a pretty good idea really. But honestly nothing was stopping that kind of poaching before printable tags came around, you just had to pay 3 bucks to have it reprinted anywhere that sells licenses.