Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Dantes 2013/14 journal.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Interesting first couple of days Dave.... Glad you and Adam got too make it out and hunt the blind together....

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Good reports Dave. I always enjoy reading your write ups. Glad you and Adam got some snuggle time together TOO.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Evening sit

conditions?
sucked!

hot, humid, rainy. yuck

saw three tonight, a doe and a small buck stepped out about 100 yardes from me at about 6:30. fifteen minutes later a big bodied buck came out another 25 yards beyond the first 2. Not sure which one it was, but I dont think it was Mr. T.

sitting in the cove stand has provided me with a good idea about what they are doing right now. the 2 i saw last week came out from the same spot as the big boy did tonight. The other 2 this evening didnt come out from that spot, but that where they went. There are some big oaks back there. Must be dropping acorns right now. Gonna have to see about getting back there soon.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
If you remember where that cam was last year, move about 20 yards south and 30-40 yards east. There should be a good climber tree in there close but that should put you just about on top of them back there.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
If you remember where that cam was last year, move about 20 yards south and 30-40 yards east. There should be a good climber tree in there close but that should put you just about on top of them back there.

Thats the plan. thought about doing that tonight, but i was pretty stinky. i tried delaware first after work, but the skeeters were horrific. by the time I got back to town i was stinky and sweaty from work and my attempt to sit at delaware and I didnt want to fugg up that spot with a big fat scent bomb.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Thats the plan. thought about doing that tonight, but i was pretty stinky. i tried delaware first after work, but the skeeters were horrific. by the time I got back to town i was stinky and sweaty from work and my attempt to sit at delaware and I didnt want to fugg up that spot with a big fat scent bomb.

Yeah, prolly not a good idea lol.

I would sit as close as I could to that big oak you wanted to build a stand for back in there. They should stage there before heading out the east side of the woods out to the field there. South winds should help too.Blow your scent right over the pond.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Might as well update this thing while i have a minute.

Strouds weekend.

Conditions, great for camping, not so much for hunting.
unseasonably warm.

i wasnt the only one that didnt see a single deer the entire weekend.

last night.

Temp. mid 50s
moon almost full
barometer average 29.96, but varying after the front passed.
mainly west 5 to 12 mph, but varying gusts from all directions.

I would sit as close as I could to that big oak you wanted to build a stand for back in there.

sat right next to it. great spot to work out of a climber, I'm gonna sit there again for sure. Will need to cut a couple lanes to the south though. I didnt see anything tonight. Not even the squirrels were moving. I guess the wind and barometer were just to turbulent to encourage the deer to move.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Some of those leaves drop and you can see a ways in there from that spot. Should make for some good chasing in a couple weeks right in there. Bet with all that rain the pond had a little water in it as well? Drove out that way on my way to work this morning and didn't see anything in the fields either so I don't think you missed anything today. I would sit this evening and tomorrow morning if I was you.

Maybe sit the north block this evening and then the other property near where you was tomorrow morning.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Maybe sit the north block this evening and then the other property near where you was tomorrow morning.

Ended up taking Jason, my 8 year old grandson, out this evening. was his first time out. We sat in the blind till almost 6:30 before he got cold and bored. he was playing angry birds on my phone more than hunting but at least we went out. when he said he was hungry and wanted to go, I tried to explain to him that we were just getting to the best time of the night, but I didn't want to push him and make him stay when he didn't want to. I want him to have fun with it.

needless to say, between him poking his head out the window at every sound and not exactly understand the term "talk quietly" we didn't see anything. But we both had fun anyway.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Yesterdays hunt, not much to tell but I'd like to keep track of stand time.

Morning sit.
Temp upper 30s
wind sw 10 -15 mph
moon full, set at 9:25 am
barometer 30.06

Sat the cove stand. No sightings, the moon was like a dim sun on the walk in. beautiful morning though.

Afternoon sit

Temp upper 40s
moon full set at 7:50 pm
mostly sunny.
other conditions the same as this morning

Sat the point stand. No sightings again, Adam saw a couple across the road around 6:30. The landowner has been doing a lot of wood cutting in there. The skid steer is gone now but it looks like they have been in here splitting and hauling out recently. Dont really expect to see much till they are done and things have time to settle down.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Morning sit.

Moon 3/4 full set at 1:33 pm overhead at 6:18 am
wind W 5 - 10 mph
temp mid 30s
barometer 30.03 rising
partly sunny frost on the ground

Sat the same stand by the pond I did last week. The west wind did the same thing swirling back into the woods. I am begging to think I should be looking for more of a north wind for this spot.

Once again, no sightings. haven't seen a deer from stand since the 4th. getting a little frustrating. After I climbed down i strolled back to the new stand. it looks like There has been some activity here. Found a couple reasonably well used trails, some scraping activity and droppings. They are around, it's just a matter of catching them at the right time. I would like to sit this spot tonight, but it isn't looking like I am going to be able to make it out. No go for the A.M. Hopefully this west wind sticks around for tomorrow night.