Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Cultural Appropriation.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.

Matt

Norton, OH
Define "won". 😂. The divisional state of the union today isnt far off from where it was in 1860.

I'd say it's less regional than in 1860, but for sure divided.

And by won, I mean the Confederate States of America no longer exists. Soooo, I think that's pretty definitive.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
All imitation. I can assure you the green beans eaten in SE Kentucky taste better if cooked in Kentucky. Bring them to Ohio. Cooked by an Ohioan or Kentuckian transplanted to Ohio for decades. . .they don't taste as good as if they were eaten down there.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Blue plate is the only mayonnaise down here. The rest is pure shit!

Also Barq’s root beer is the shiznat.

We also eat red beans and not kidney beans.

Reactions: Sgt Fury

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
All imitation. I can assure you the green beans eaten in SE Kentucky taste better if cooked in Kentucky. Bring them to Ohio. Cooked by an Ohioan or Kentuckian transplanted to Ohio for decades. . .they don't taste as good as if they were eaten down there.

I believe that's because if one is removed from the immersion of a particular cuisine they begin to assimilate to local flavors. The restaurants aren't the same either so the inspiration is not there. Even items available in grocery stores aren't the same or as fresh like shrimp, crawfish, catfish filets, crab, oysters, greens like collard, mustard, turnip etc. But that's a different thing than mass produced boxed food claiming to be "southern style" "Southern spiced" or "southern style"

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Anything “southern” is better, we all know that.

That's what the marketing is implying but they're doing it with shit mass produced boxed food which has zero asociationnto anything "southern" what ever the help that is supposed to be.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I brought some to the TOO shoot once, fuggin Nickle couldn't stop eating them. 😂
Had some in South Carolina a buddy of mine bought. He said they tasted great and reminded him of his younger days when he grew up there.

This northern boy did NOT care for them lmao. Maybe I'll have to try them again from a different place as I'm sure each place prepares them differently.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Had some in South Carolina a buddy of mine bought. He said they tasted great and reminded him of his younger days when he grew up there.

This northern boy did NOT care for them lmao. Maybe I'll have to try them again from a different place as I'm sure each place prepares them differently.

Yeah it just depends. Like anything there are good and bad places. The gas station crockpot usually isn't the best place to get them. Lol.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Yeah it just depends. Like anything there are good and bad places. The gas station crockpot usually isn't the best place to get them. Lol.
And that's where he picked them up from lol.

That was back in 2014 and I know you had yours after that trip. That's why I didn't eat any lol.