Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Cultural Appropriation.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Something that has been getting on my nerves recently and becoming increasingly prolific is the use of the word "southern" to describe a type or flavor of food.

Southern Fried Chicken. There's no such thing, southern people don't fry chicken any different than anyone else fries a fucking chicken.

Southern-style XYZ. There's no such thing as southern style green beans, it's just green beans with some meat in it, I'm pretty sure that's not uniquely Southern or required in green beans in the south. Never have I been to a restaurant in the South where if the green beans didn't have meat somebody yelled to get this Yankee shit off my table. The worst is like potato chips that say Southern spice. Holy fuck I wasn't aware we had a spice, much less that it was a specific spice that we put on potato chips.

But the worst part about all of this is that they're applying the terminology largely in part the food that tastes like absolute shit purely as a marketing ploy because southern food has a reputation for being very rich and flavorful. The only one constant with Southern food is a ridiculous amount of butter. If you say to yourself "holy shit that's too much butter" then double it.

Not to pick on Matt but he made me think of it with his Mississippi roast recipe. I know I've been out of the state of Mississippi for a while but I wasn't aware the state legislature passed a recipe for roast.

Southern cuisine is not a spice, a flavor, or even a method of cooking. It is a belief that food should come from the soul, and is prepared without giving a single thought to obesity, diabeetus, high blood pressure, or any other thing that makes food taste like shit. There is a reason than Alabama Mississippi and Louisiana are the three fattest states in the Union and it's not because they have some special kind of spice.

Matt

Norton, OH
Sorry to singe your feathers there Colonel Sanders 😉 Just figured I would use what has become the widely-accepted nomenclature of that particular combination of ingredients. I get what you're saying though. What is the difference between southern food and soul food?

In a completely unrelated note, what's your opinion on New England clam chowder? :ROFLMAO:

Something that has been getting on my nerves recently and becoming increasingly prolific is the use of the word "southern" to describe a type or flavor of food.

Southern Fried Chicken. There's no such thing, southern people don't fry chicken any different than anyone else fries a fucking chicken.

Southern-style XYZ. There's no such thing as southern style green beans, it's just green beans with some meat in it, I'm pretty sure that's not uniquely Southern or required in green beans in the south. Never have I been to a restaurant in the South where if the green beans didn't have meat somebody yelled to get this Yankee shit off my table. The worst is like potato chips that say Southern spice. Holy fuck I wasn't aware we had a spice, much less that it was a specific spice that we put on potato chips.

But the worst part about all of this is that they're applying the terminology largely in part the food that tastes like absolute shit purely as a marketing ploy because southern food has a reputation for being very rich and flavorful. The only one constant with Southern food is a ridiculous amount of butter. If you say to yourself "holy shit that's too much butter" then double it.

Not to pick on Matt but he made me think of it with his Mississippi roast recipe. I know I've been out of the state of Mississippi for a while but I wasn't aware the state legislature passed a recipe for roast.

Southern cuisine is not a spice, a flavor, or even a method of cooking. It is a belief that food should come from the soul, and is prepared without giving a single thought to obesity, diabeetus, high blood pressure, or any other thing that makes food taste like shit. There is a reason than Alabama Mississippi and Louisiana are the three fattest states in the Union and it's not because they have some special kind of spice.

Never met you, but the more I read your posts the more I think this applies to you. LOL

CE3FACE3-2B67-4318-88E7-A2441AE6E526.jpeg

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Is that the red or the white?
Sorry to singe your feathers there Colonel Sanders 😉 Just figured I would use what has become the widely-accepted nomenclature of that particular combination of ingredients. I get what you're saying though. What is the difference between southern food and soul food?

In a completely unrelated note, what's your opinion on New England clam chowder? :ROFLMAO:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Slightly different as that chowder originated in New England. Pretty sure southerners can't lay that claim to flavored potato chips or green beans.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
About the only difference in the south than the north when it comes to cooking is, most things are fried and lots of seasoning when cooked and after it’s finished. And southerners will damn near eat anything, especially sw la. Dem Cajuns will make a gravy with anything.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Dont they have Northern Beans to make up for things?

Funny you mention that. I've heard them called Yankee beans, navy beans, northern beans. But imagine if the new trend was northern green beans, northern friend chicken, northern flavored chips, northern seasoned potatoes, northern style cobbler. WTF does any of that mean? The only reason it works with "southern" is they're known for producing very favorable dishes. Which coincidentally has nothing to do with the actual products that are being touted as "southern".

Matt

Norton, OH
Slightly different as that chowder originated in New England. Pretty sure southerners can't lay that claim to flavored potato chips or green beans.
True. But I looked it up, the origins of the Mississippi roast can be traced back to a woman from... Wait for it...

Mississippi

New England is the white creamy, Manhattan is the red, and there is another white more runny chowder called the Rhode Island, which is my favorite.

Matt

Norton, OH
Funny you mention that. I've heard them called Yankee beans, navy beans, northern beans. But imagine if the new trend was northern green beans, northern friend chicken, northern flavored chips, northern seasoned potatoes, northern style cobbler. WTF does any of that mean? The only reason it works with "southern" is they're known for producing very favorable dishes. Which coincidentally has nothing to do with the actual products that are being touted as "southern".

Maybe we can call it that because the North won and we get to name the things?

Reactions: 5Cent and Dustinb80